New video card - opinions sought

What you need to run the software
N6ATC

New video card - opinions sought

Unread post by N6ATC »

(also posted in groups.io)

Hello, friends.

Last fall, I built a new computer around an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X with 64GB of RAM. I used my old video card, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition with 8GB of RAM.

I want to put that card back into my old computer and am looking to upgrade the card.

I'm considering this one... I wonder what your opinions are of this card and its expected performance for SDR Console?

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - it has 6GB of RAM.

Thank you!

Max

Re: New video card - opinions sought

Unread post by Max »

N6ATC wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:17 pm I'm considering this one... I wonder what your opinions are of this card and its expected performance for SDR Console?

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - it has 6GB of RAM.

Thank you!
Quite a few of us on here have the 1650 Super and I certainly have found it in no way lacking for anything I want to do with SDRC. In benchmark tests, some aspects of the 1660 Super are slightly better than the 1650 Super and some around 30% better but from what I can see these improvements only really apply to the sort of things that show in top end gaming. For use in SDRC I imagine there is very little if any difference. The price is pretty shocking though compared to what I paid for my 1650 Super just over two years ago!

In short, it will do everything you need it to do in SDRC.

Max

jdow

Re: New video card - opinions sought

Unread post by jdow »

If you want to drive a large display with the 3D window and all the other video gewgaws running you may need more video card than if you just want to run the basics. The bare basics work on a shockingly weak Celeron NUC size box with an rtlsdr dongle on it.

{^_^}