Thunderbolt 3 Nvidia Graphics

What you need to run the software
on2ron

Thunderbolt 3 Nvidia Graphics

Unread post by on2ron »

I'm thinking of completing my Intel NUC8i5BEH mini pc with a GeForce card via the Thunderbolt 3 connection.

Could it provide the same CUDA core performance for the Console as to a standard PCIe slot card?

Any idea where I could find such a device?

73' Ron
ON2RON

Simon G4ELI

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Nvidia Graphics

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

No idea.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

wa4six

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Nvidia Graphics

Unread post by wa4six »

https://www.amazon.com/thunderbolt-pcie ... lt+to+pcie
They are made. This was the first hit on Google.
This is from Wikipedia:
Thunderbolt 3 is a hardware interface developed by Intel.[55] It shares USB-C connectors with USB,[56][57][58] and can require special "active" cables for maximum performance for cable lengths over 0.5 meters (1.5 feet). Compared to Thunderbolt 2, it doubles the bandwidth to 40 Gbit/s (5 GB/s), allowing up to 4-lane PCIe 3.0 and 8-lane DisplayPort 1.2.

Intel's Thunderbolt 3 controller (codenamed Alpine Ridge, or the new Titan Ridge) halves power consumption, and simultaneously drives two external 4K displays at 60 Hz (or a single external 4K display at 120 Hz, or a 5K display at 60 Hz when using Apple's implementation for the late-2016 MacBook Pros) instead of just the single display previous controllers can drive. The new controller supports PCIe 3.0 and other protocols, including DisplayPort 1.2 (allowing for 4K resolutions at 60 Hz).[59] Thunderbolt 3 has up to 15 watts of power delivery on copper cables and no power delivery capability on optical cables. Using USB-C on copper cables, it can incorporate USB Power Delivery, allowing the ports to source or sink up to 100 watts of power. This eliminates the need for a separate power supply from some devices. Thunderbolt 3 allows backwards compatibility with the first two versions by the use of adapters or transitional cables.[60][61][62]

Intel offers three varieties for each of the controllers:[63]

Double Port (DP) uses a PCIe 3.0 ×4 link to provide two Thunderbolt 3 ports (DSL6540, JHL6540, JHL7540)
Single Port (SP) uses a PCIe 3.0 ×4 link to provide one Thunderbolt 3 port (DSL6340, JHL6340, JHL7340)
Low Power (LP) uses a PCIe 3.0 ×2 link to provide one Thunderbolt 3 port (JHL6240).
This follows previous practice, where higher-end devices such as the second-generation Mac Pro, iMac, Retina MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini use two-port controllers; while lower-end, lower-power devices such as the MacBook Air use the one-port version.

Ed