New computer or install Nvidia graphics?

What you need to run the software
g4saq

New computer or install Nvidia graphics?

Unread post by g4saq »

My machine is an i3-4170 at 3.7GHz with 4GB RAM. I'm running Win 10 64 bit.
I want to improve performance with Console and have a bit of future proofing but without breaking the bank. I have read Simon's clear description of the benefits of having an Nvidia graphics card.
I wonder whether I will see a good jump in performance just by installing a (probably second hand) Nvidia GTX 950 or GT 730 or whether I should bite the bullet and buy a new i7-10xx machine?
Advice would be much appreciated, please.
Thanks, Russ

mbott

Re: New computer or install Nvidia graphics?

Unread post by mbott »

I'm not sure if adding a Nvidia graphics card would be my first step or adding RAM.
--
Mike

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

To be honest I'd get the best you can afford.. if you can bite the bullet and stretch to an i7-9th or 10th gen, 16GB RAM and an nVidia graphics card, that's what I'd go for. The latest gen i5 might also be worth considering and a little cheaper.

If you add ram and a nvidia card to your existing PC, you may find yourself limited again in the near future.

I rebuilt and upgraded my machine to an i7-9900 32gb ram and re-used my nVidia 960 card and it goes really well. Should serve me for a long time to come. The only thing I might do before next summer (or maybe before the end of this year, as the prices may well rocket/availability limited here after Jan 1st) is change the video card for a 1650 Super.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

G0OFE wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 pm To be honest I'd get the best you can afford.. if you can bite the bullet and stretch to an i7-9th or 10th gen, 16GB RAM and an nVidia graphics card, that's what I'd go for. The latest gen i5 might also be worth considering and a little cheaper.

If you add ram and a nvidia card to your existing PC, you may find yourself limited again in the near future.

I rebuilt and upgraded my machine to an i7-9900 32gb ram and re-used my nVidia 960 card and it goes really well. Should serve me for a long time to come. The only thing I might do before next summer (or maybe before the end of this year, as the prices may well rocket/availability limited here after Jan 1st) is change the video card for a 1650 Super.
I'm waiting for the 11th generation later this year as I should replace my station PC (i7 4770). Better technology and better GPU on the chip.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

g4saq wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:23 pm My machine is an i3-4170 at 3.7GHz with 4GB RAM. I'm running Win 10 64 bit.
I want to improve performance with Console and have a bit of future proofing but without breaking the bank. I have read Simon's clear description of the benefits of having an Nvidia graphics card.
I wonder whether I will see a good jump in performance just by installing a (probably second hand) Nvidia GTX 950 or GT 730 or whether I should bite the bullet and buy a new i7-10xx machine?
Advice would be much appreciated, please.
Thanks, Russ
Stick the 950 on - that'll help a lot with graphics and probably offload the FFT processing.
www.sdr-radio.com

g4saq

Unread post by g4saq »

Thanks for the very helpful advice, chaps. I've got a bid going on a graphics card and I'll see what I can get a new computer for at Balck Friday! 73

on2ron

Unread post by on2ron »

The Ryzen 5th generation ZEN3 CPU's will be offered from 5 November 2020.

The internal 7 nm CPU technology will put Intel in a catching-up mode.
It was only a matter of time, but AMD is now ahead of Intel after always playing second violin. The race is on and I expect that Intel will have an answer soon, but @ a higher cost as we know it.

Building an equally performing new pc will cost you today about 30% less with a Ryzen 3rd gen CPU compared to an equivalent Intel build. This said, I never liked AMD, but the past few weeks got me digging deeper in the present available technology. Now the CPU war is really on.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen

73' Ron

Simon G4ELI

on2ron wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 am The Ryzen 5th generation ZEN3 CPU's will be offered from 5 November 2020.

The internal 7 nm CPU technology will put Intel in a catching-up mode.
It was only a matter of time, but AMD is now ahead of Intel after always playing second violin. The race is on and I expect that Intel will have an answer soon, but @ a higher cost as we know it.

Building an equally performing new pc will cost you today about 30% less with a Ryzen 3rd gen CPU compared to an equivalent Intel build. This said, I never liked AMD, but the past few weeks got me digging deeper in the present available technology. Now the CPU war is really on.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen

73' Ron
Although Intel's 11th gen are 10nm the clock is up to 5GHz or a tad more.
www.sdr-radio.com

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Some comparisons when running SDRC with an AirSpy R2 10MHz bandwidth or equivalent would be quite interesting, I suspect. This would be both with and without nVidia card and with or without GPU support enabled within SDRC.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

jdow wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 pm Some comparisons when running SDRC with an AirSpy R2 10MHz bandwidth or equivalent would be quite interesting, I suspect. This would be both with and without nVidia card and with or without GPU support enabled within SDRC.

{^_^}
The 11th gen GPU looks good - I'm optimistic that it can drive two x SDR Console on 4k. As for FFT - it's running at 4.8 GHz and I have excellent FFT code.
www.sdr-radio.com