Computer (benchmark) spreadsheet for SDRconsole

What you need to run the software
on2ron

Computer (benchmark) spreadsheet for SDRconsole

Unread post by on2ron »

Hi all,

For some time I see people struggle with the question if their present computer of a one he or she wants to buy works fine when using SDRconsole.

It can be a guideline. Items like CPU model, memory, GPU, SDR model, used sample rate bandwidth en the number of used receivers have to be included to obtain a reasonable realistic result. This cannot be an exact science, but can be used as a good guideline of what to expect.

Yes other things like, memory speed, SSD performance, USB port speed and others do also have an impact, but are maybe less important.

It could have an educational function.

What do you think :?:

73' Ron
ON2RON

PD3LK

Re: Computer (benchmark) spreadsheet for SDRconsole

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi Ron, are you aware of the guidelines at https://www.sdr-radio.com/computer ?

on2ron

Unread post by on2ron »

Yes, Leon, I do. But as from the reactions I read, still questions pop up almost every day.

This said, seems to be that the CPU speeds has a lot of influence on systems, mostly laptops. Some of these that have a 1.5 GHz or less, 2 core i3 older Intel CPU's show lots of audio jitters. This seems to be confusing when users read on the sdr-radio webpage that there i3 CPU is up to the task, but in reality it is sometimes problematic.

Sorry to notice your reaction so late.

73' Ron

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

You are right Ron, the older i7 versions like the 6700K (my 6the gen PC) are having a hard time too with SDRC especially when the Favourites file is growing. SDRC is getting very slow when loading and after a few hours running incl some decoding software. I have 16Gb of RAM so that seems not the bottleneck. Shortage of available cpu threads i think.

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

PD3LK wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 am You are right Ron, the older i7 versions like the 6700K (my 6the gen PC) are having a hard time too with SDRC especially when the Favourites file is growing. SDRC is getting very slow when loading and after a few hours running incl some decoding software. I have 16Gb of RAM so that seems not the bottleneck. Shortage of available cpu threads i think.
Please post info: Screenshot of Console, Task Manager etc. a 6700K should be more than enough.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

There are hints floating around on SlashDot that Intel may be partially imploding. With that in mind I wonder how all this goodness works with the AMD lines of processors, that seem to be benchmarking out better than Intel.

(Intel is losing senior managers. As a result they are re-hiring laid off employees. Eventually they will run out of former employees....)
{o.o}

Simon G4ELI

jdow wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 am There are hints floating around on SlashDot that Intel may be partially imploding. With that in mind I wonder how all this goodness works with the AMD lines of processors, that seem to be benchmarking out better than Intel.

(Intel is losing senior managers. As a result they are re-hiring laid off employees. Eventually they will run out of former employees....)
{o.o}
Intel is wobbling, that's for sure. In two to three years they'll be back.
www.sdr-radio.com

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Still, benchmarking SDRC on AMD processors with nVidia video cards might be quite interesting now.

{^_-}

on2ron

Unread post by on2ron »

Joanne, I can make a test of SDRC with my AMD Ryzen 7-3700X and an Nvidia GT710 video card.
Just, what standard actions will be used for a benchmark?

73' Ron

Simon G4ELI

Just FWIW the 3.1 test kit I'm about to make available for the test team runs smoothly on my 2008 Core2DUO 2GHz laptop.
www.sdr-radio.com