Geforce GTX1650 Super

What you need to run the software
G0OFE

Geforce GTX1650 Super

Unread post by G0OFE »

Looking online, there seems to be a few 'variants' of this card..... there is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-GeForce- ... B08121QD2C

and this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GeForce-Su ... B081SF87PL

and this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GEFORCE-Gr ... 81QGH7S7

and there are others. Quite variable prices. Whats the difference or are they all the same performance wise?
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

mbott

Re: Geforce GTX1650 Super

Unread post by mbott »

The local MicroCenter has about 10 variants running from $159 to $189 which is pretty much the same as Amazon here. Might research this fuller after the turn of the year. Then there is the GTX 1660. Prices really start to rise with it.
--
Mike

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

OK. I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX960. Need to do it before the end of the year as pricing/availability after then will become more uncertain.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

on2ron

Unread post by on2ron »

Jim, most features depends on your existing pc and your monitor.

If it is a full size tower, you will not have to go for a small card as they are intended for compact cases or ITX style MB's.

The ports can differ and have to choose what connection your monitor(s) have. Always look for HDMI 2.x if you want 4K resolution.

Besides this the GDDR type and size is important. GDDR6 is the fastest and have higher data clock and memory bandwidth like 192 GB/s.

The type of PCI-E 3.0x16 is also a fast bus if your PC MB can support this. The 1650 super does not come with PCI-E 4.0x16 bus connectors.

Take a tape measure and the free size on the place where your graphics card is to be installed. Also check What PCI-E slot is in your pc.

I can recommend you this card. Not expensive and good value if it fits on your MB.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/ ... SOC-4GD#kf

Good luck,
Ron

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Yes, Ron, it is the 1650 Super I'm going for as per original post. It will fit in the space and expansion slot that the 960 currently sits in.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

G0OFE wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 pm Yes, Ron, it is the 1650 Super I'm going for as per original post. It will fit in the space and expansion slot that the 960 currently sits in.
1650 Super is excellent value for money, it's under-priced to compete with AMD.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Simon, do you know if there are significant differences between the different variants of the different brands? is the Asus the "original" one?
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

G0OFE wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:35 pm Simon, do you know if there are significant differences between the different variants of the different brands? is the Asus the "original" one?
I generally buy Asus, have no idea about differences. Overclockers Forums maybe?
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Jim

There is no "original" model. GeForce 1650 Super refers to the Nvidia chipset. Exactly same chipset used by different manufacturers:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/gr ... 650-super/

So then it comes down to build quality, perceived or otherwise. Everyone seems to have a favourite. As I recall, PNY and Zotac are the cheaper end, with the bigger "name" brands being (maybe -depending on opinion) Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, Asus etc. I think also some comes down to warranty offered. Again, tends to weigh on the price. I bought an EVGA, because (a) it rates very well in tests, particularly how quiet it runs. I do like silence from a PC.... (b) they apparently are excellent at customer service when there is a problem and (b) has a 3 year warranty (I think). I purchased from Scan:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-ge ... 755mhz-boo

I can also recommend Scan, at least from my experience. My 2012 Scan built ASUS MB desktop PC is still going like a trojan.

To be fair I doubt if there is a huge amount between any of the GPUs. If it were me and I had space I would definitely get a two fan design to keep the noise down. The smaller form factors have one fan but I'm sure I read some reviews that said they can (no surprise) be noisy under load. I can vouch for the fact that my EVGA runs totally silent in any applications I use (I don't game).

The other big issue is how many output ports? The EVGA (and most of them I think) has one HDMI 2.0 (good for one monitor up to 4k), one Display Port 1.4 and one DVI. DVI is pretty much redundant these days I think, is it not? The Display Port can be daisy chained to more than one monitor, so to run three modern monitors each at 4k from this card is not going to be an issue with HDMI to one and Display Port to maybe two others as far as I can see:

https://www.comprehensiveco.com/displayport14.html

If you really need more there is a card with four outputs (2 HDMI and 2 DP) but cannot remember what it is. It's pricey though and possibly overkill for most?

One last point. Be sure to avoid the 1650 (regular) and be 100% sure to only go for 1650 Super. The 1650 is a dud by all accounts despite the very similar name.

Hope it helps.

Max

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Thanks Max, explains everything. Was always going to be the 1650 Super, was confused by the different "models" on offer which I wasn't expecting...

I've ordered an Asus one from Overclockers. Has twin fans so should be quieter. I already drive 3 monitors from my existing card (1 HDMI to a UHD TV, 1 DVI, 1 Displayport with an adapter into a DVI lead, the latter two into 24" monitors) ) so that won't change.

One other question.. I am assuming that I simply take the old card out, put the new one in, boot PC and run Geforce Experience to get and install the right drivers?
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR