Is 11th generation i7 fast enough WITHOUT nvidia gpu?

What you need to run the software
simon

Is 11th generation i7 fast enough WITHOUT nvidia gpu?

Unread post by simon »

Grateful advises on buying new notebook for limesdr, limesdr mini or ADLIM Pluto, first for QO100 ssb rx tx and may be later, 200 kbps or lower datv (not sure what software).

Will this fast enough and still some space for future growth?

11th generation Intel  i7-1165G7 cpu, 4 cores, 2.8GHz normal and turbo 4.7GHz

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... h-ipu.html

Should i go 16GB or 32 GB RAM, i want dual or hopefull three screens with docking box over usb c or usb 3

ssd PCIe NVMe m.2

Many notebook models does NOT have Nvidia GPU. This cpu has build in Iris® Xe Graphics GPU. Will the software use it? If not, will the cpu alone fast enough? Should i get another higher price notebook with additional Nvidia MX450 GPU?

Many thanks

Simon G4ELI

Re: Is 11th generation i7 fast enough WITHOUT nvidia gpu?

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Easy answer - Yes. You can always add a GPU later.

I'll be very interested in how it performs as I need a new PC this year and don't want a GPU due to the RFI.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

He seems to be stressing notebook and laptop use. So adding later is likely not an option. With my (dated) experience with laptops the thought of multiple SDRCs on a laptop leads to loud proclamations that it will not work due to heat throttling. Notebooks and laptops are not noted for robust heat elimination. Laptop/notebook life may be different these days. (And for God's sake do NOT purchase Lenovo. Mine is sewer sweepings.)

{o.o}

Simon G4ELI

jdow wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:36 pm He seems to be stressing notebook and laptop use. So adding later is likely not an option. With my (dated) experience with laptops the thought of multiple SDRCs on a laptop leads to loud proclamations that it will not work due to heat throttling. Notebooks and laptops are not noted for robust heat elimination. Laptop/notebook life may be different these days. (And for God's sake do NOT purchase Lenovo. Mine is sewer sweepings.)

{o.o}
Ah, yes. FWIW the 11th gen has new and more powerful integrated GPU, also the chip's very efficient.
www.sdr-radio.com

simon

Unread post by simon »

11th gen i7 is nearly double in cpu speed than 10th gen. No idea how the build in GPU compare with nvidia

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/i ... benchmarks

simon

Unread post by simon »

I am looking at "normal" HP notebook. No idea if they handle well full load at 100% duty cycle. But i only need less than 1 MHz on ham band, so not too much data pumping out of the sdr box

There are "gaming notebook laptop pc", never used one, web advertisement says bigger size and fan

simon

Unread post by simon »

Will the software auto or manual select available chip(s) if

1. I buy cheaper notebook laptop with ONLY 11th gen i7 which has build in intel GPU, support OpenCL 2.0

2. Buy higher model, same i7 with added Nvidia MX450 GPU. Now, notebook has two GPU, intel and nvidia

Many thanks

Simon G4ELI

simon wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:41 pm Will the software auto or manual select available chip(s) if

1. I buy cheaper notebook laptop with ONLY 11th gen i7 which has build in intel GPU, support OpenCL 2.0

2. Buy higher model, same i7 with added Nvidia MX450 GPU. Now, notebook has two GPU, intel and nvidia

Many thanks
You don't need a GPU for the FFT with this 11th gen chip. The MX450 will help with demanding graphics and gaming, but it's not massively better. I really think the 11th gen i7 on its own is enough but I'm waiting for a Guinea pig :)
www.sdr-radio.com

simon

Unread post by simon »

Is is true that i do NOT need MX450 Nvidia GPU because it is ONLY for visual waterfall display and NOT for actual decoding signal?

I do not need absolute fastest waterfall and highest Hz pixel resolution.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

With nVidia GPUs available the FFT computations (spectrum, waterfall, and perhaps some filtering) are moved to the GPU. Without the GPUs this computation is forced to the CPU increasing it's load some.

{^_^}