New Setup - Selecting Satellites

Ken Alexander

New Setup - Selecting Satellites

Unread post by Ken Alexander »

Just setting up, and getting used to SDR-Satellites.

I have gone into [Home|General|Options] and created a list of 21 amateur radio satellites I want to track.

Instructions on the Satellites support website say "Press the Select button in the Home pane of the ribbon bar, the Select Satellite window is displayed. By default all satellite definitions in your TLE data files are available...", except they're not. The list is empty. How do I copy/transfer the list of satellites I selected previously into this list as well?

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

jdow

Re: New Setup - Selecting Satellites

Unread post by jdow »

Is this perhaps an identity issue with the list stored only under the identity you used to create it? If so digging around in %appdata%/SDR-RADIO.com (V3) might turn up something interesting you could copy to other identities. (I've never played with satellites so I do not know where the data gets stored. I'm just guessing and hoping I am right and helps.)

{^_^}

VK5HI

Unread post by VK5HI »

Ken,
It is some years since I populated my list but just looking at it I would suggest that after you have organised your Favourites from General, Options that from Satellite List click Select, Browse. Then you should see the satellites you have selected as favourites. Then double click on those sats one at a time, followed by Apply to get them into the Satellite List.
Once you have them in the Satellite List you can edit them by selecting them in Satellite List and clicking on Organise.
I think this procedure is close to the mark, if not you may be able to figure it out from there.
73 Colin VK5HI.

Ken Alexander

jdow wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:37 pm Is this perhaps an identity issue with the list stored only under the identity you used to create it? If so digging around in %appdata%/SDR-RADIO.com (V3) might turn up something interesting you could copy to other identities. (I've never played with satellites so I do not know where the data gets stored. I'm just guessing and hoping I am right and helps.)

{^_^}
There are files in that folder, but I don't know what I'm looking for and I don't know where "it" should go even if I found it.
Thanks anyway! I appreciate getting a reply.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Ken Alexander

VK5HI wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:05 am Ken,
It is some years since I populated my list but just looking at it I would suggest that after you have organised your Favourites from General, Options that from Satellite List click Select, Browse. Then you should see the satellites you have selected as favourites. Then double click on those sats one at a time, followed by Apply to get them into the Satellite List.
Once you have them in the Satellite List you can edit them by selecting them in Satellite List and clicking on Organise.
I think this procedure is close to the mark, if not you may be able to figure it out from there.
73 Colin VK5HI.
Hi Colin,

It would make sense to start from the list I just created, but instead I'm presented with the entire list of satellites only it's formatted differently. I could go through the list and select all of the satellites again, but why? As jdow mentioned in a previous reply, that list should be saved somewhere on the computer but I don't know where it is, and really I shouldn't have to go hunting for it. The software should.

VK5HI

Unread post by VK5HI »

Ken,
The information you are being presented is the detailed tracking data that is required to provide the final tracking and is the first part of the setup.
It is the way Simon wrote the software. The procedure I outlined is correct except for one step that I got wrong. Apologies on that one.
It should have stated Then double click on those sats one at a time, followed by click on Add to list to get them into the Satellite List..
Also forgot to mention to tick the Receive Auto Apply: (and Transmit if you are also auto TXing).
It does take time to completely setup when you have multiple Satellites, but once complete it is a great system.
Have been using it for years 24/7 unattended with excellent results.
73 Colin VK5HI.

Ken Alexander

VK5HI wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:05 am from Satellite List click Select, Browse. Then you should see the satellites you have selected as favourites. Then double click on those sats one at a time, followed by Apply to get them into the Satellite List.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for your continued patience and assistance. After reading your message again I noticed you mentioned 'selected as favourites', as I have quoted above. I missed that the first several times and only found out what you meant in this latest re-read. I never checked the Favourites box until now!

I'm sure the rest of your reply will make perfect sense now that I have this key piece in hand.

Many thanks again!

Ken Alexander VE3HLS