Doppler Correction

KC3EF

Doppler Correction

Unread post by KC3EF »

Am I missing something? I am using the program to receive weather satellite pictures and have the doppler correction turned on. I don't see the frequency change as the satellite goes over. I see the doppler correction change, but not the main frequency. If I use Gpredic and SDRsharp the frequency changes during the pass. What setting have I missed?

Dick - KC3EF

Simon G4ELI

Re: Doppler Correction

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Dick,

You will not see the frequency change but you should see the Doppler being applied as the satellite signals sill be at a constant frequency in the display. Post a screenshot if confused - enable the Waterfall Extras and the Doppler correction will be shown.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

VK5HI

Unread post by VK5HI »

Dick,
You have not missed anything.
That is the way Simon has structured his Satellite program.
73 Colin VK5HI.

KC3EF

Unread post by KC3EF »

Thanks for the information. I see the doppler change on the screen, but thought that the main frequency should change also, like it use to in HRD or some of the other programs I have tried. I won't worry about it then.

Dick - KC3EF

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

KC3EF wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm Thanks for the information. I see the doppler change on the screen, but thought that the main frequency should change also, like it use to in HRD or some of the other programs I have tried. I won't worry about it then.

Dick - KC3EF
What I do is apply correction so if you're listening to 145.800 (ISS) then the software shows 145.800, not 145.800 + Doppler.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

radiohead

Unread post by radiohead »

If I may just extend this old thread, as it's relates to my question.
I see the signal in the waterfall following the Doppler Effect.
If I want to stay on it, I have to do it manually.
Is that the way it's supposed to work or can I lock on to it so it follows it through the pass.

avdeur

Unread post by avdeur »

Hi Sir,
You should just enable the ENABLE TRACKING button (far upper left on the dedicated Satellite Module > Screen where you see ao the graphics of the worldmap) That will do the actual tracking as you will see in the bottom of the waterfall !
good luck
Albert
PA5OXW

Max

Unread post by Max »

radiohead wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:52 am If I may just extend this old thread, as it's relates to my question.
I see the signal in the waterfall following the Doppler Effect.
If I want to stay on it, I have to do it manually.
Is that the way it's supposed to work or can I lock on to it so it follows it through the pass.
https://www.sdr-radio.com/tracking

Max

radiohead

Unread post by radiohead »

Hi Max
Thanks for your reply.
It prompted me to re-read the relative help section.
It didn't help solve my problem, but did help with rephrasing my question.

Quoting from the help section:

"When Doppler correction is active you see the value added to the centre frequency in the main waterfall. In this example 2,035 Hz is added to the centre frequency of 137.1 MHz. In the satellite tracking window the status bar under the map shows the same information"

In my situation, I see the Doppler value reducing, but the centre frequency remains constant through the pass.
I am obviously doing something wrong.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Screenshots would be helpful, ideally with pass in progress. Shot of the main screen and shot of the Sat window(s). Full shots, uncropped.

I'm no expert on the Sat function but I have received a few weathersats with it no problem and the doppler correction worked perfectly and automatically. No way you should need to track manually.

Best

Max