Mouse wheel zooming & frequency marker positioning

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
sdr_user

Mouse wheel zooming & frequency marker positioning

Unread post by sdr_user »

Let me start off by saying that IMHO, SDR-Console is by FAR the most professional and most capable of all currently available software products specifically written for SDR's. In the beginning I was an avid user of SDR# but quickly and eagerly made the switch to SDR-console once it included what has become an absolute "must have" feature for me: frequency markers in the spectrum display. The way SDR# uses multiple, poorly labeled sliders to control the display is just hideous. Even after extensive use, I always forgot whether the label for a given slider was to the left or right of the actual control inevitably moving the wrong one - textbook poor user interface design.

Unfortunately, there is also one thing in particular that drives me INSANE about using SDR-console and it's the manner in which the mouse wheel zooms the spectrum display, requiring the user to press the "ctrl" key. That in and of itself isn't a problem but the way doing so causes a small window to appear asking for a frequency and requires a click to go away IS.

Official request: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE provide a way to change this default behavior. To NOT have that window appear. Every time it pops up and I see that sentence at the bottom that reads, "Hint: double-press Ctrl to open this window" I just want to SCREAM! I've even tried using various keystroke/mouse macro utilities to solve this issue but to no avail.

My other suggestion is to have an option for markers to use the center of the filter for their placement instead of the far left or right of the filter when in one of the USB/LSB modes. Quite often I quickly mark several signals only to later return and find that almost every one is offset by a significant amount from it's actual frequency. The degree of which varies solely on the width of the filter at the time the marker is placed - arguably defeating/severely limiting it's use.

I didn't intend on writing a book, but if you've stayed with me this far, I would certainly like to thank you for providing the community with this software.

Take care,
Brent

G0OFE

Re: Mouse wheel zooming & frequency marker positioning

Unread post by G0OFE »

I guess an easy solution is to either allow the user to specify a hot key to trigger the frequency input window, rather than use a double-hit or held-down CTRL key to do so, or to use/user-specify a key other than CTRL to activate zoom with mouse wheel?
Or even user-disable the holding of CTRL to bring up frequency entry, as one can optionally enable the pressing of number buttons to do the same thing.

I guess the issue is holding down CTRL for a period of time while we zoom is triggering Windows' repeat key press, Console sees this and thinks "Ah.. frequency input time!" and brings up the window.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

No window asking for a frequency here (HP Pavillion Notebook i5) with an external USB mouse with scroll wheel on top.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

sdr_user

Unread post by sdr_user »

G0OFE wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 am I guess the issue is holding down CTRL for a period of time while we zoom is triggering Windows' repeat key press
!!BINGO!! Give this man a cigar...

Which isn't a problem in other software that utilizes keyboard + mouse combos to modify mouse actions, so it does indeed seem to boil down to the way SDR-Console currently handles KeyPress events.

DO1ATM

Unread post by DO1ATM »

This is also a Problem for me,
I guess User define Hotkeys will do the Job.

Tom