Midi keying for CW?

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
Max

Midi keying for CW?

Unread post by Max »

Simon

Don't know if you have been following the Hermes Lite group/forum recently but Steve Haynal is making great progress with an external keyer/soundcard project for HL2 which will enable truly remote operation of HL2 on CW via midi keying. He just made a very neat summary of what he is trying to do and why it is better than all the other currently or proposed available solutions, and also the keyer (Teensy Keyer) would be usable for other SDR radios as far as I can see:

https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite ... 15dhe2BwAJ

I think this has been discussed before on the other "IO" group, but any chance of midi keying for CW operation in SDRC?

Thanks for looking.

Max

Simon G4ELI

Re: Midi keying for CW?

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Max,

Shout at me at the end of may, I'll add this support. Do I have to buy some hardware, if so give me a link please.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Simon

Thanks for reply. Steve is working on a board design as we type. My guess is it eventually will be another addition to the Hermes family via Makerfabs. Truly makes HL2 into a fully fledged network radio for all modes.

However, I think midi keying is generally a very useful feature to add to SDRC regardless? Will keep you posted.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:07 am Max,

Shout at me at the end of may, I'll add this support. Do I have to buy some hardware, if so give me a link please.
Simon, also see this post where Steve mentions SDRC and the requirements:
https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite ... DLV5TKAQAJ

Max

Simon G4ELI

OK,

Will look at the end of May / early June and I will add this support, I do want it.
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon G4ELI

OK,

Just had a quick read - looks like I have to write an Iambic keyer using MIDI. Takes time of course but very doable. Then add memories etc...

let me know when there's a MIDI unit available which I can use with my Begali .
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:04 pm OK,

Just had a quick read - looks like I have to write an Iambic keyer using MIDI. Takes time of course but very doable. Then add memories etc...

let me know when there's a MIDI unit available which I can use with my Begali .
No, that's not it. No keyer software needed. The keyer is all contained within Steve's new board which is also a self contained USB sound card for sidetone generation to a local speaker (and a host of other functions). The board creates midi instructions from the keyer which just need to be interpreted to key SDRC in Midi mode. The whole project started off as a away to generate a self-contained keyer with low latency sidetone that can key the HL2 TX even when stationed remotely.

To quote Steve Haynal:

"The software you use must accept CW keying via MIDI. I know that Quisk, SparkSDR and piHPSDR do. Take a look at the CW and Logging Setup document for linHPSDR:
https://github.com/softerhardware/Herme ... e#linhpsdr

The software and keyer have to agree on which MIDI channel and note to use for CW. You may have to change that in the source code for now.

I know SDR Console supports MIDI controllers, but I didn't see one in the options to enable. See Tools->Options->Controllers->MIDI. Maybe if you are in CW mode then TX on controls the key? If there is no support, it would be very easy for Simon to add."

Maybe what is needed is already present? However, my guess is that "TX On" controls PTT, not the key signal? As a none programmer must admit I don't fully understand the exact requirement. Hope Steve's comments makes sense to you?

Max