Backup

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
ik8ozv

Backup

Unread post by ik8ozv »

Hi all,
this is my first post and please apologize if i am posting in a wrong thread.
I have to re format my PC and i would like to know if there is a possibility to save all the details, configurations and layouts
of the program so when i re install the program I can import them so i get the program already set.
Or if it is possible to know all the files to save and the copy them in the properly folder.
Thanks in advance.
73's de Enzo IK8OZV

jdow

Re: Backup

Unread post by jdow »

Nominally yes. You need to use RegEdit. Drill down to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE". Then highlight the SDR-RADIO.com (V3) key. Right click and select "Export". Save the resulting file to a dongle key or something.

Then drill into your username\AppData folder. (You may have to change folder options to get there easily.) Go into the "Roaming" folder. Copy the entire "SDR-RADIO.com (V3)" folder along side the registry entry file.

On the new machine double click on the .reg file of exported values then copy the folder over to the same place it was but on the new machine. Typically this will be "C:\users\(name)\AppData\Roaming".

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

Nicely covered by Joanne and here is the official info too:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/user-settings

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I figured my answer was nicer than a snotty, "Have you looked at the support pages on sdr-radio.com?" I've been tempted more than once. I try HARD to be nice. It doesn't come naturally to me. Snarling the above question used to be more common.

{^_-}

dg9bfc_sigi

Unread post by dg9bfc_sigi »

would ne nice if we would hve a backup and restore function without manually copy user files PLUS editing in the registry ... so copy ALL things with a single restore function
that way it would be much easier to copy one setup to another pc ... sure some settings then have to be checked (for example on new pc the name of a soundcard may not even exist) ... but main layout, eq settings, filter settings,agc, noise reduction etc etc ... could be easier copied that way ...
user may be fear of "hacking in registry" ...

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Agreed.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

dg9bfc_sigi

Unread post by dg9bfc_sigi »

so you may think about such an "import from other setup" function?? ... THAT would be superb ... (i am sure others will also love it)
i have made now a few dozen teamviewer meetings with other users to help them with their pluto setup ... import of a user setupfile with a single click would save much time on those teamviewer sessions ... even if you then have to do some "finetuning" on the new setup (example sound settings)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

I have other things to do first, but a backup / restore is not complex. I will not restore screen layout, this depends on the monitor, Also radio-specific settings are often saved per-radio using the serial number.

Anyway, let's see...
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It should be easy to save everything. Copy the existing AppData folder to a subfolder and export the registry to that subfolder.

If course, I have a somewhat ugly (code needs a bit of cleanup) tool that subclasses CSettingsStore and will save to registry or everything can be saved to AppData OR another folder of choice. Actually "everything" is a tiny exaggeration. ONE MFC registry setting is saved without going through CSettingsStore. It seems to be relatively inconsequential. I also added some overlapped read and write functions for things like float, double, and so forth. The program code ends up looking neater.

{o.o}