RF Gain To A Slider ?

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
Robert11

RF Gain To A Slider ?

Unread post by Robert11 »

Hello,

Not sure if I requested this before; don't remember.
If I did, I apologize,

Not important, but perhaps something to consider.

I'm always playing around with the RF Gain Settings.
It would, I think, be a lot easier if it was implemented as a Slider. Perhaps an option for either way ?

And in the Memories, the 1 to 9, with the 20 allowable designations:
In addition to selecting which of the 1 to 9 you want to see, might it be possible
to give a name to each of the 9 ?

e.g., Aero. in addition to number 1 (or both perhaps)
Maritime for No. 2
etc.

Thanks,
Bob

Barry WB2ZXJ

Re: RF Gain To A Slider ?

Unread post by Barry WB2ZXJ »

Hi Bob,

To name the Memories, click on the down triangle and select Edit. You should be good from there. (see attached).

Barry
WB2ZXJ
Attachments
Mem.jpg

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

"I'm always playing around with the RF Gain Settings." Generally speaking this is not a wise way to use the RF gain control, even for weak signal CW use. An exception exists when you have strong enough signals your screen explodes with spurs before your SNR readings stop increasing with increased gain. In a more normal setting once your SNR stops rising the RF gain is pointless and why might you want to degrade performance by using lower than optimum gain for SNR?

For CW use you can turn off the AGC and use the MGC setting in that panel the way the RF gain is used in traditional analog radios.

{o.o}

Robert11

Unread post by Robert11 »

Thanks,

Good suggestion.

Bob

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

jdow wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:30 pm "I'm always playing around with the RF Gain Settings." Generally speaking this is not a wise way to use the RF gain control, even for weak signal CW use. An exception exists when you have strong enough signals your screen explodes with spurs before your SNR readings stop increasing with increased gain. In a more normal setting once your SNR stops rising the RF gain is pointless and why might you want to degrade performance by using lower than optimum gain for SNR?

For CW use you can turn off the AGC and use the MGC setting in that panel the way the RF gain is used in traditional analog radios.

{o.o}
Agreed, with SDRplay just let the AGC do the work.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!