Server for spectrum data and audio only

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
HB9DTZ

Server for spectrum data and audio only

Unread post by HB9DTZ »

Hi Simon

I would like to ask, if there is a possibility to send only spectrum data and audio from the server to the client.
With larger RF bandwidth (e.g. 8 MHz from a SDR-Play device), the bandwidth of the I/Q data becomes way too large for WAN connections.
At the server side is enough CPU power available to do all the FFT, but often the WAN bandwidth is limited.
As a workaround I'm using RDP with remote audio. But unfortunately remote audio is messing up other audio interfaces :-(

Best regards: Christoph / HB9DTZ

PD3LK

Re: Server for spectrum data and audio only

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, correct... often the WAN bandwidth is limited

Did you tried Chrome Remote Desktop or Teamviewer?

greetz

HB9DTZ

Unread post by HB9DTZ »

Hi Leon

Yes, I worked with TeamViewer before but I didn't liked the aggressive advertising for the paid version, even if i was fully compliant to the non commercial usage policy. I did not tested Chrome remote desktop but I will give it a try. Most important thing is, not messing up the local audio interfaces at the server side when doing RDP.

The reason why I asked Simon about an integrated solution is, that the datarate may be reduced much more than with RDP.
With an integrated solution, there is only the transmission of one spectrum trace per "sweep" plus the audio data necessary.
With RDP the datarate depends of several parametwer like screen resolution, screen layout, color shading of spectrum window etc.
RDP in few words: "As more pixels are changing at a time, the datarate increases".

But such a solution may have also disadvantages... who knows ?

Kind regards: Christoph / HB9DTZ

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

HB9DTZ wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 pm Hi Simon

I would like to ask, if there is a possibility to send only spectrum data and audio from the server to the client.
With larger RF bandwidth (e.g. 8 MHz from a SDR-Play device), the bandwidth of the I/Q data becomes way too large for WAN connections.
At the server side is enough CPU power available to do all the FFT, but often the WAN bandwidth is limited.
As a workaround I'm using RDP with remote audio. But unfortunately remote audio is messing up other audio interfaces :-(

Best regards: Christoph / HB9DTZ
Sorry, just saw this. The data sent over is the IQ data, this is the raw SDR data, before the spectrum / waterfall is generated.

At the moment no plans at all to change this.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

HB9DTZ

Unread post by HB9DTZ »

Thank you Simon for the clarification!
Have a nice weekend.
Regards: Christoph