HF Voice Recording

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
skyking_comms

HF Voice Recording

Unread post by skyking_comms »

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to record voice from aeronautical HF USB frequencies, only when voice is activated. I've being struggling with this problem for a very long time, due to the constant HF background noise.

When I've attempted to do this with SDR Console I've found the squelch difficult to set as when it squelches out the HF noise you can also lose weaker voice transmissions. Plus with the changing propagation throughout the day I've found when the HF noise comes back it starts to create audio files.

My scenario is that I'd like to record voice transmissions from a Shanwick frequency - so for example 5649khz, with individual audio files created throughout the day for me to review at the end of the day.

If anyone has successfully achieved this in SDR Console then I'd be very interested to see a video of how you have achieved this.
If I can get it to work then I'd use SDR Console with my RX-888 to record multiple aeronautical frequencies via VFO's.

If it's not possible in SDR Console then there is another solution, which is called JSquelch. The problem is that it doesn't currently work on Windows and the author of the software is looking for others to help with this - more details and a youtube video are available here - https://jontio.zapto.org/hda1/jsquelch/

Hopefully someone in this group can help

Thanks

jdow

Re: HF Voice Recording

Unread post by jdow »

With an SSB signal there is precious little that can be used for squelch action other than signal level. That is what Simon uses. Absolute noise levels change throughout the day. Therefore actually using the squelch is a tough job. There may be some algorithms that detect speech through various features. (Obviously as speech can be extracted from noise in noise reduction software.) I don't believe Simon has attempted this.

{^_^}

skyking_comms

Unread post by skyking_comms »

jdow wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:05 pm With an SSB signal there is precious little that can be used for squelch action other than signal level. That is what Simon uses. Absolute noise levels change throughout the day. Therefore actually using the squelch is a tough job. There may be some algorithms that detect speech through various features. (Obviously as speech can be extracted from noise in noise reduction software.) I don't believe Simon has attempted this.

{^_^}
Thanks for the reply - so that confirms my thought that SDR Console doesn't provide the solution I need

Next question.. is there anyone out there with knowledge of MSYS2 that can help Jonti get JSquelch working on Windows?
He can be contacted via his contact address on the website link I originally posted

Rod46

Unread post by Rod46 »

There is Scanrec Scanner Recorder.
This small recording program runs in Windows 10: https://www.dxzone.com/dx3965/scanrec-s ... order.html

Rod

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

It says: "works best with FM, HF ham bands and World Band radio have such a poor signal to noise ratio that the VOX gate on Scanrec might not be very easy to set."

The SSB squels in SDRC is a speech activated squels and work's very well. But i don't believe it pauzes recording to save disk space.

r/Leon