User-Defined Bandplan with automated settings

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
CXGY

User-Defined Bandplan with automated settings

Unread post by CXGY »

Not sure if this has already been requested.
I would love to see the ability to pre-define mode, filter & step per band. Examples :

Band Mode Filter Step Offset
88.0 - 108.0 BC-FM 150 200 k 100 k
108.0 - 117.975 AM 4.8 50 k -
117.975-137.0 AM 6 25 k -

Offset would be for the step, i.e. in this case 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, etc. rather than 88.0, 88.2, 88.4, etc.

As one tunes across the bands, the mode, filter, step & offset would change to match the bandplan.
This option could be turned on or off (Use User-Defined Bandplan or Do Not Use User-Defined Bandplan)

William Hepburn
Canada

CXGY

Re: User-Defined Bandplan with automated settings

Unread post by CXGY »

Thanks jdow, but that just colours a band. I mean something that actually changes the mode, bandwidth & step as I mentioned. My old AOR AR-8000 scanner allowed this type of personalization, and I loved it. I'd like to see that duplicated on SDR Console.

For example, VHF Low-Band PSB channel spacing is 20 kHz, High-Band is 15 kHz and UHF is 12.5 kHz. I'm constantly having to change the steps manually. It would be nice if it was automatic.

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Nice idea, maybe it would work on VHF but on HF you find all modes everywhere.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

You may find that your band plans might have to get awfully fine grained. Los Angeles is very different from San Francisco at least for ham bands, for example. We also have an annoying habit of allocating chunks of spectrum to several different services not all with the same technical specifications. The NTIA spectrum chart is a colorful document.

{o.o}

CXGY

Unread post by CXGY »

It would just be a tool for those who WANT to use it and it could be switchable on/off. And it could be set up to only work in bands that you have defined. So if you only defined FM, AIR band and PSB, then those would be the only bands it would work in. The rest of the dial would still work as it does now. Wideband scanners like the AR8000 came with a pre-set bandplan that was user-programmable. I set SWBC to 5 kHz AM and left the rest of HF set to 0.5 kHz USB. It could be as detailed or as coarse as you desire.

A compromise would be to at least be add step to the Favourites. It's the constant manual changing of steps that's driving me crazy. :)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Maybe steps should be on the ribbon bar for the current mode?
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

CXGY

Unread post by CXGY »

I think it would useful to treat the steps the same way as filters are treated, as its own group. User-selectable as to which show up, and programmable for user-defined steps (example for me : 67.5 kHz for the Canadian 950 MHz STL band). Also max step size 1 MHz (for the UHF TACAN/DME band). So as a separate group placed between Filter and AGC rather than a button/pull-down menu on the Mode group. With a different group of steps showing up per mode (like with filters). That would be the ultimate.