Frequency span to be locked when zooming

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
SpE

Frequency span to be locked when zooming

Unread post by SpE »

I'd like to see an option to lock the frequency range when using the zoom option. For example if I am interested in monitoring a particular range like 87 MHz to 95 MHz and a station suddenly appears on 88.0 MHz, I will use the zoom to get a closer look at the frequency. When I have finished with that frequency and then zoom back out to the full spectrum, it is then covering a range of 84 to 92 MHz and I have to shift the range back to where I was before. It would be great if the original range was available after zooming back out.

While I agree that a closer view of the spectrum is available using the DSP panel, I tend not to use the panel and have the waterfall and spectrum display fill the entire width of my small laptop screen.

Thanks.

RadioSDR1

Re: Frequency span to be locked when zooming

Unread post by RadioSDR1 »

Well, you could use a Favorite as that can remember a range of spectrum. So after zooming in, then hit the Favorite to get the spectrum back to whatever default range you like.

goscickiw

Unread post by goscickiw »

I'd also like to see this feature in SDR Console. I moved to Console from SDR# because it's better for me in some ways, but I still miss this feature from SDR#.

Max

Unread post by Max »

SpE wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:45 am I'd like to see an option to lock the frequency range when using the zoom option. For example if I am interested in monitoring a particular range like 87 MHz to 95 MHz and a station suddenly appears on 88.0 MHz

Thanks.
I too think this would be a useful feature. It never seems possible to achieve what you want. The only way seems to be to keep the waterfall zoomed out and then move around within the wider displayed zone. But as you say, as soon as you zoom it moves the hardware centre frequency of the receiver. This has been discussed/requested before. I don't have the time right now to search out when/where but I'm sure it has.

Simon tried to implement something similar (receiver frequency lock) when he introduced the "multi-band" feature, but unfortunately the receiver never seems to stay locked rigidly even with the "Lock" button pressed. Maybe try playing with that? I don't know if there is perhaps some reason why it cannot be fully achieved and that in some way the waterfall display is tied up very strongly with the centred hardware frequency of the receiver. Only Simon can comment.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I can dig out code that does it. I've let Simon know. He's not asked me. It's awkward to think about. But it works about as well as one can expect. When you zoom out too far the desired frequency moves off center. For a no plugins SDRSharp type radio it's perfect. With multiple receivers, though, figuring out how to choose the correct radio to work with can be frustrating to both user and programmer. The selected radio would be my choice. It gets VERY messy looking when you switch from one receiver to another. I can understand Simon not doing it even though it is another feature I wish SDRC had.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

jdow wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:42 pm I can dig out code that does it. I've let Simon know. He's not asked me. It's awkward to think about........ ........ I can understand Simon not doing it even though it is another feature I wish SDRC had.

{^_^}
Is there any reason not to simply have a type-in box, perhaps on either the Home tab or Receivers tab of the Ribbon Bar where the hardware centre frequency could be typed in, alongside a "lock" button? Then when that button is engaged, it turns red, and somewhere at top of master spectrum display, a red "lock" symbol is shown to signify the hardware centre frequency oscillator is locked solid until the "Lock" button is disengaged?

Something like that? Most people would probably never use it, but when needed it would be very useful as per the OP's post.

The current version of this lock facility in the multi-band panel never seems to stay where it's put i.e. does not work (unless I missed something) and anyway, I personally don't really use the multi-band panel anyway. I might of if owned an RX888 or some similar wideband direct sampler SDR.

Max