Recording function

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
g4ogi

Recording function

Unread post by g4ogi »

I can't see the function in the Rec/Playback options in the ribbon bar.

I think an additional function to save the following: Time, Frequency, Sample time, Bandwidth, instantaneoud SNR, Integrated (or averaged) SNR over a time interval which is less than the sampling time for each of N receivers
Data saved as CSV file so as to be multiplatform useful (other options considered). Data files could be broken into (user-defined) periods for ease of managed. It should aslo be possible to make the sampled data above available as a data stream feed for live web based plotting

Justification:
I find that I am doing more and more monitoring of signal carriers and require a mechanism to be able to measure, for example, vlf signals over a considerable period of time. This is to catch the alteration in propagation as the ionosphere changes during radio twilight. Also a good way to monitor SIDs and other events (solar eclipses etc)
The same function could be be used to monitor VHF/UHF/microwave signals to monitor tropspheric conditions live.
Many many uses.

For this monitoring I see that one needs to be able to monitor separate receiver frequencies. As we can already set up to 24 receivers, this monitoring function should be able to be set for those receivers. Admittedly 24 receivers continuously running and creating data files is a little excessive and likely to overwhelm most PCs., so a restiction to a maximum of six receivers would suffice.
As an illustration in my case I see 3 x RSDN-20, and 3 signals between 16 and 60kHz.
Yes I know I can achieve this using a soundcard and other processor solutions, but monitoring meteor scatter, propagation on hf and vhf is more convenient using SDR-Console

It may be a half-baked suggestion at present but I thought I would float the idea as I could see any option existing here

jdow

Re: Recording function

Unread post by jdow »

All this can be derived from the recorded samples. Or are you looking to save the above data and not the actual samples? What do you want to record when more than one signal appears within a receiver bandwidth?

I fear what you are asking for may have to come from post processing saved sample data. Worst case you may have to write your own post processor with specific characteristics you feel you need. I'm curious what Simon would have to say.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

That's quite some request! As jdow writes, this is determined when you run a recording (or play live).
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

g4ogi

Unread post by g4ogi »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I accept that what I want to di is quite complex. It is not really in the domain of SDR-Console as it is based heavily on post detection of signals.
To simplify the requirement boils down to efficient capturing post-detection (at this stage) signals of varying bandwidth and separate frequencies.

I have in mind capturing RSDN-20 signals. Currently operating using 3 of 10 frequencies. Each transmitted pulse is 400ms long and comprise a shaped pulse that is slightly less than 5Hz wide . This 5Hz wide signal contains (if you like) sub-carriers spaced 0.267Hz. The sub-carriers individually are affected by selective fading (amplitude and relative phase).
The pulses themselves are affected by ionospheric disturbances (radio twilight, SIDs etc), so amplitude from the complete pulse is useful for that.

Measuring signal amplitude is extremely use at other frequencies. LF NATO channels for selective fading on radio twilight paths and SIDs; hf ionospheric scatter (with an addition to display and measure spread); meteor and aircraft scatter. The list goes on.
In all cases a number of channels need to be monitored in parallel.

In theory it might be possible to achieve this type of transfer to an external application using VAC, but my processing engine(s) will need to be external machines which will then combine this processed data with near-real time Solar and Atmospheric data sources.
This suggests that a mechanism to transfer data to an external server be based on some TCP/IP protocol (preferable with timestamps)
In this solution PC timestamps are acceptable...if the PC is controlled properly by ntp. My machine here happily keeps within +/-1ms. A dedicated machine may do slightly better.
If I wanted sub-nS accuracy I would have to look to synchronising using 1 PPS references and the whole solution would be more complex and a full different problem 😊.

I think it is a case of re-routing soundcard raw data in the Console, so it is a small (grin) case of adding functionality to how this data is handled.
Although having access to the continuum data might be helpful.
The data would be taken from the PC running SDR-Console and combined on an (early preparation) ESP32-S3 (log and analysis) + RasPi4B WEBengine cluster

I hope that clarifies. Quite happy to continue thinking about it and redefining boundaries. My full-time round-the-clock caring duties tend to mean posts can become disjoint as I have to leave the train of thought.

Nick - g4ogi

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Nick,

This really is a complex requirement. I think the best approach is to analyse the recording data yourself - DFT/FFT, Windowing etc. all being in your control. This is the only way you'll have the required flexibility.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!