Add 'Dither' setting to HL2 control to support band-volt feature

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
G1LRO

Add 'Dither' setting to HL2 control to support band-volt feature

Unread post by G1LRO »

In later versions of the gateware on the HL2 there is a band-volt modification to automatically change the band on a linear amplifier (it sends a specific voltage per-band to the amp).

It's explained here: https://github.com/softerhardware/Herme ... Band-Volts

This mod implements the generation PWM signal required for the voltage, with a code element implemented in the later versions of gateware (72p5) on the HL2.

The software uses the 'Dither' setting of the standard Hermes protocol (since this is not otherwise used on the HL2) to enable the PWM output.

Adding a 'Enable Dither' checkbox on the HL2 config would provide support for this software feature and enable users of automatic band switching to use the SDR Console.

This setting is commonly implemented on other SDR applications with HL2 Support

Max

Re: Add 'Dither' setting to HL2 control to support band-volt feature

Unread post by Max »

Seconded request for this feature here Simon. Anyone attaching a linear will likely want this feature for auto-band switching.

I had not realised before reading this and the previous request that a change is needed in SDRC but I imagine it's a small programming mod? Just giving access to the Dither bit and adding a checkbox to the HL2 Radio options. Because it's unique to the HL2 I think you can justifiably name it "Band Volts" or some such name, rather than the misleading "Dither" label. Yes, it's the Hermes "dither" bit that is set but has no function on HL2 so has been hijacked for band-volts feature as per OP Mark's post and GitHub link.

I am pretty sure it's also relevant/required for the new HL2 IO board that is about to be manufactured en-masse at Makerfabs?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Mark (or Herb?)

Tried to find a way to PM you but seems none on QRZ. I've just put fresh request in to Simon on IO Groups Test Team outlining what I think he needs to do (I'm no programmer but I've done my best) and I think that with luck he may have time to look into it shortly. Fingers crossed. Watch this space.

Just for info the original main IO Group for SDRC is actually much more active than this Group even though in theory this is the "official" support.

https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/topics

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

G1LRO wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:12 am In later versions of the gateware on the HL2 there is a band-volt modification to automatically change the band on a linear amplifier (it sends a specific voltage per-band to the amp)

Adding a 'Enable Dither' checkbox on the HL2 config would provide support for this software feature and enable users of automatic band switching to use the SDR Console.

This setting is commonly implemented on other SDR applications with HL2 Support
Mark

Simon just implemented this feature in the latest Test Kit but not yet on the public Beta (because obviously it's not tested yet). Unfortunately I'm not yet in position to test it myself.

Are you in a position to test this feature out? If so I suggest you send a request to Simon asking to be added to the Test Team and you will be able to download the latest test beta with this feature added and ready to test and give feedback to Simon.

Suggest if you are ready to test it that you go to IO Groups and make a public post asking Simon to be added to the Test Team and why (if you are not already of course):

https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/topics

Max