SDR Console as a simple WEB SDR (originally posted on IO group)

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
Martin - G8JNJ

SDR Console as a simple WEB SDR (originally posted on IO group)

Unread post by Martin - G8JNJ »

Hi Simon,

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

With the advent of the RX-888 and other similar SDR's in the pipeline.

Would it be possible to provide some sort of web-server front end associated with each receiver, so that folks could use Console via a web browser to create what would basically be a simple web sdr, without the need to run console as a native application in a server - client relationship ?

I know the streaming function is similar, but it's not quite the same thing.

Something like this would be ideal for radio clubs and for folks wishing to remotely listen to the radio on tablets and phones.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Brentseres

Re: SDR Console as a simple WEB SDR (originally posted on IO group)

Unread post by Brentseres »

I have successfully been able to integrate the Remotehams server with SDR console. This is an option built into the Remotehams server software. Granted, it is not browser based, but works well if you install the remotehams client on your Windows or Android device. Don't think the client is available for Apple devices though.

Brent
VE3CUS

Martin - G8JNJ

Hi Brent,

Fair point.

Maybe I should elaborate on my original post.

For folks with serious noise problems that compromise reception, using remote receive sites is becoming more commonplace.

My suggestion was to allow anyone running SDR Console to have the ability to turn it into a web sdr that could be shared with others if they wished.

It would also allow control of SDR console via tablets and phones using a standard web browser, without needing to run a specific OS.

There are a few existing examples of such.

WEBSDR software requires release of the appropriate software from it's author, and significant Linux skills to configure and maintain.

http://www.websdr.org/background.html

OpenWebRX has various limitations an is also not an 'out of the box' configuration.

https://www.openwebrx.de/

KiWi SDR is almost out of the box, but it hardware specific and as time goes by, the hardware is becoming a limiting factor.

http://kiwisdr.com/

If SDR Console could provide basic web sdr functionality, by utilising the separate receiver panes, it would facilitate the sharing of your own receive equipment with others, without the need to have SDR Console installed on the client device.

Over the next few years, I think that more emphasis will be placed on the use of WEB SDR's, especially as new wideband SDR receivers such as the RX-888 become available at reasonable prices. The ability to use SDR Console with a variety of hardware, which may already be in use for personal reception purposes, could then be more easily updated and shared with others, so that they can take advantage of better antennas and a lower noise floor than may be available in their own location.

The use of SDR Console server is perhaps the first iteration of this trend, and I wanted to flag the suggestion up to Simon for future consideration, as I think this is the way that the technology may be likely to progress. Using a web interface allows casual use, makes it independent of any specific OS and doesn't require particularly powerful processing in the client device.

I hope this provides some additional background.

Regards,

Martin

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Martin,

This is a Massive undertaking if it's to be written correctly. My new technology list is:
  • Direct3D - 3D waterfalls etc.
  • AI noise reduction, digital decoding, CW decoding.
  • Browser interface (your request).
We're probably looking at 2022 for this, I'll be ~65 when I start.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Martin - G8JNJ

Hi Simon,

"This is a Massive undertaking if it's to be written correctly."

Yes, I absolutely agree, but I can't think of anyone better suited to the task, or any better likelihood of an excellent outcome resulting from it :-)

"I'll be ~65 when I start."

Ha, you will probably be getting hang of this writing writing code lark by then, so it will just be like coasting downhill on a push bike :-)

My request was really no more than a bit of crystal ball gazing, and trying to figure out where some of the existing SDR software (and hardware) trends were likely to be in a few years time.

Incidentally I also mentioned the idea on the Airspy forum (following the recent announcement of SDR# receiver 'slices') and, much to my surprise, Youssef (a) didn't 'moderate' my post and (b) hasn't said "no way" (yet).

Anyway thank's for at least considering the idea, and it's nice to see that it made it onto your (ever expanding) list, it's great to have something to look forward to, and confirms my view that, "if you don't ask, you don't get".

Take care and stay safe,

Martin (of a similar age)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Just FWIW I started with punched cards. A lot has changed...
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Martin - G8JNJ

Ha, that takes me back....

Punched cards, FORTRAN and having to wait a week to get the perforated green lined paper printout back from the 'computer department, usually just to find out that you had gone wrong somewhere. It took months to write even simple routines.

Eye, you try to tell young folks today, Jumpers for Goalposts etc...........

I think that's when I decided software wasn't for me, and concentrated on RF instead.

Have fun,

Martin

G6PZZ

Unread post by G6PZZ »

i have two years on you two and the first school computer circa 1976/77 used punched cards and didn't do much more than a calculator. I was much quicker with a slide rule than punching cards! It is good that both of you found where your expertise lay and I am grateful i can learn from you, to a modest level.

Tom G6PZZ

Tony_AD0VC

Unread post by Tony_AD0VC »

Paper tape on a model 33 Teletype, 1970 in high school. BASIC language. First program played Tic-Tac-Toe. Later, in college, it was punch cards (IBM 026 and 029 keypunch) with Fortran. I was a hardware guy though. I wrote a bunch of code but never for customers. I should have retired a few years ago but I am still at it. Hardware (digital) has become a coding task now. It is all in Verilog.

Tony