Higher "Min elev" for satellite passes

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
Simon G4ELI

Re: Higher "Min elev" for satellite passes

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

jdow wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 am Now that I am awake, I do not see the difference. If its maximum is above a minimum it is at least above a minimum. I needed some wake up juice when I typed that message. And with disk space nearly free these days (compared to the $1k for 19 megabytes days or even the buck a gigabyte days) the whole pass should be recorded OR ELSE you need to provide a degree by degree shadow mask for obstructions and antenna pattern issues. That or else is a programming hum dinger and requires a lot of work on the part of the user to generate the shadow mask.

{o.o}
The logic will be to only record a pass (a whole pass) if the peak elevation is above a predefined value, if the automatic scheduler is enabled then only entries in this schedule.

Not too difficult, brain's a bit fuzzy at the moment.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

"brain's a bit fuzzy at the moment"
i had corona end of febr last year, one week very sick, my brain and body are still recovering.
So for those who are able to get there vaccine shots...don't hesitate to do so.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Your recommendation is very good for people our age. Here are some confusions (sic) I have made from diving into what data I can find here in the US.

If you are above 55 and have not had a Xiflu infection don't pass go to collect your $200 before you get to the Xiflu shot center. There are potential side effects; but, their incidence is well below the incidence of being infected and dying of Xiflu, orders of magnitude below.

If you are male and maybe 25 or below it may be wise to pass up the vaccination. There are indications out of Israel supported by other data suggesting healthy late teenagers can suffer potentially fatal heart problems.

In the in between ages, 25-45 I'd make no recommendations one way or another.

If you have had Xiflu (and you are SURE it was Xiflu) you may want to postpone the vaccination until a test for antibodies shows you have no antibodies from your previous (probably not the real thing) Xiflu infection. There are potentially bad to fatal side effects, and if you're already immune, why bother? (It appears that with antibodies already present the immune system reaction to the vaccine is strong enough to give other health problems.)

And I'd be very skeptical about data coming form the US, at the least. It has become very highly politicized. Data sets you can access cannot be reconciled with each other. Also due to censorship issues on Google, it is not wise to believe that is a source of truth. An interesting side effect of data dives is that in 2020 the US supposedly had 360,000 Xiflu deaths. But, if you look up the interesting in themselves statistics for total deaths from all causes for say 2014-2020 we had maybe 20,000 to 58,000 (depending on how you extrapolate the data) excess deaths from projecting earlier data into 2020. Regular flu seems to have vanished. Now many regular flu cases have been mis-categorized as Xiflu cases?

The conclusions above are about as good as I can get from repeated data dives into clearly manipulated statistics. (My county reports new Xiflu deaths two ways. One is a simple "today's number, yesterday's number" and the other is a bar graph with a 7 day running average overlay. The first reports numbers in the single digits lately, seldom below 4. But, on the graph you must to back to March to find 4 deaths in a day wit the running average down under 1. What do I believe?)

{^_^}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

This is not a radio topic, so i stop after a last word. Better not follow all the advise from those wise guys on TV, among friends and family. Just do it, the chance of dying (on our age) from Covid is much much higher then the chance of dying from vaccination. And vaccination does help, the amount of daily infections and deaths declines very fast in the NL. Last 24 hours only 1 dead, a month ago there where hundreds every day.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I agree with you for elderly people. Young people do not get it as easily or as lethally. That I have teased out of statistics as a very strong signal. This is a disease that attacks the elderly up to three orders of magnitude more than the teenager and preteen populations. That is why I hedged it. Of course, I am looking at "per capita" data rather than absolute numbers. The absolute numbers are misleading.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Am now testing this, should be in a kit tomorrow if tests are OK.
www.sdr-radio.com

VE3HST

Unread post by VE3HST »

Thank you Simon. The "Min elev" works great. I tested it yesterday and today. It only records the passes with an elevation at or above the set elevation. I'll post a screenshot below showing the correct operation with NOAA 19. It did not record the earlier pass that was below the 20 degrees that I had set. Thanks again. I just made a £40.00 contribution for dog food.
2021-07-01 SDR Console NOAA 19.jpg

Simon G4ELI

VE3HST wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:53 pm Thank you Simon. The "Min elev" works great. I tested it yesterday and today. It only records the passes with an elevation at or above the set elevation. I'll post a screenshot below showing the correct operation with NOAA 19. It did not record the earlier pass that was below the 20 degrees that I had set. Thanks again. I just made a £40.00 contribution for dog food.
2021-07-01 SDR Console NOAA 19.jpg
Very generous, many thanks.
www.sdr-radio.com