Open next/previous file for play #feature

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
sm6fhz

Open next/previous file for play #feature

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Simon.

When playing IQ-recordings I often jump between different files (=recorded at a different time) and listening on the same frequency.

It would be great to have two additional "Open" buttons adjacent to the present "Open" button. One to the left saying "Open previous file" and one to the right of the present "Open" button saying "Open next file".
"Previous" file being the file above the present file in the file list and "Next" file being the following file in the file list.

When jumping between these files they should open with the Rx on the same frequency as used in the presently played file.
For MW-DX'ing that would be very neat and make it very easy to follow how the conditions shift with time i.e. from hour to hour etc.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon G4ELI

Re: Open next/previous file for play #feature

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

sm6fhz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm Hi Simon.

When playing IQ-recordings I often jump between different files (=recorded at a different time) and listening on the same frequency.

It would be great to have two additional "Open" buttons adjacent to the present "Open" button. One to the left saying "Open previous file" and one to the right of the present "Open" button saying "Open next file".
"Previous" file being the file above the present file in the file list and "Next" file being the following file in the file list.

When jumping between these files they should open with the Rx on the same frequency as used in the presently played file.
For MW-DX'ing that would be very neat and make it very easy to follow how the conditions shift with time i.e. from hour to hour etc.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
Crazy users and their excellent ideas !
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Simon, I have to admit that the idea was not mine originally. Just the idea to make use of it here as well.
This feature was originally used in the WSJT SW (by W1JT, Joe Taylor) for Rx-wave files when listening to recorded FSK441, JTMS, JT65 etc. files. It is very handy when having many decoded files there to listen to.
But, I think it has it's place in this application as well.
I hope it is possible to implement very soon and I do look forward to having it now when the MW-dx season has started so good. Nice condx this morning, listening to the presidential election debate on ALL US stations (almost) last night. At first, I was somewhat puzzled, then I realized that I actually recognized the voice of one of the candidates :o
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Guy Atkins

Unread post by Guy Atkins »

The Jaguar software aimed squarely at medium wave DXers has this highly useful ability. You can simply click ahead (or back) to a previous day's recording on the same frequency, same time. I also think (but not positive) you can navigate the same way for a user-specified period of time (such as XX number of minutes or hours).

As Ingolf knows, DX signals can often rise from out of the noise floor to audibility at unpredictable times, only to disappear a short while later. File navigation as described like this would be a "poor mans version" of the Analyzer module in SDR-Console, in terms of moving around quickly in (recorded) time.

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi.
A humble and friendly reminder of this feature.
Just to avoid it to fall too far down into the heap, where it never will be found and lost for ever ;-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon G4ELI

sm6fhz wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 pm Hi.
A humble and friendly reminder of this feature.
Just to avoid it to fall too far down into the heap, where it never will be found and lost for ever ;-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
It's bookmarked :D
www.sdr-radio.com

pauldbnut

Unread post by pauldbnut »

[Edit: I don't mean to hijack this thread for a possibly related idea. Would happily re-post if there was any interest.]

Guess it's one of those "big ideas" I'll never get around to... audio/IQ library manager.
Abstracting from the file system to something tagged with metadata; human-readable and searchable.
Could also help with pruning and much else.
Would be a natural-born navigator for playback switching, records filtered by frequency of interest.

And a handy starting-point for defining time/bandwidth segments to extract to narrow-band IQ (if that ever seems like a good idea).
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

Simon G4ELI

Suggestion:

When a file is started from the Select Recording window I can add a second dockable window with the file list, in this second window you can easily select new files, this would be a great place for a next / prev option.
Select Recording
Select Recording
This window can be docked or floated.
This window can be docked or floated.
www.sdr-radio.com

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Simon.
I am not sure I do follow you in how your suggestion would work.
What I saw in my imagination was a very easy, "one button" solution to select the file in front of the present or the file just after the present in the file list. With just two buttons, one to the left and one to the right of the "open" button ("Previous file" and "Next file").
I enclose two screenshots, one with the Record/play window open and one with the view file window.
In my case the actual files are sorted in chronologically order with an hour or half hour between each (from scheduled recordings).
I imagined it should be as simple as possible and with just one button to press to open the wanted file.
I have noticed that the present file always is at the bottom of the file list when this pop-up window opens (as can be seen in the screenshot). That means that in order to select the next file you have to actively scroll the file list down. Kind of annoying.
A great help would be that the present file would have a few filed below, if available. But the "Previous" / "Next" file feature would be a step better :-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
Attachments
Select_file_pop_up_window_SDRC_V3.PNG
Screenshot-2020-11-10-200939.png

Simon G4ELI

OK, I'll add Prev / Next tomorrow morning and then make a kit for you.
www.sdr-radio.com