3 Dimensional Display for V3

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
wb8yqj

3 Dimensional Display for V3

Unread post by wb8yqj »

Hello All - Yaesu has a new small transceiver with the 3D option like FT101DX, maybe something like this can be developed for SDR Console V3. ;-)

https://swling.com/blog/2020/10/the-new ... ansceiver/

de Wb8yqj Don
Carlsbad, Ca. USA

Simon G4ELI

Re: 3 Dimensional Display for V3

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

It could, I've looked at this and now know what I have to do. Scheduled as 'eye candy' for 2021.

BTW - FTDX-10 has been announced, half the price and same spec.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

wb8yqj

Unread post by wb8yqj »

So glad it's on your radar! (nasty pun) ;-)

Looks like a nice little Yaesu, at that price will need to get one. Thanks for the info...

de Wb8yqj Don

Max

Unread post by Max »

Sorry to ask, but what's the point, apart from looking pretty? Perhaps I missed some useful functionality?

Max

Simon G4ELI

Max wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 pm Sorry to ask, but what's the point, apart from looking pretty? Perhaps I missed some useful functionality?

Max
I don't know. It's something that has to be tried first I think.
www.sdr-radio.com

wb8yqj

Unread post by wb8yqj »

Glad Yaesu saw useful functionality enough to invest in the idea. If Yaesu can provide a "topographical" display with the limited processing power in the transceiver - Simon can best it by an order of magnitude, no question.

de Wb8yqj Don
Carlsbad, Ca. USA

Simon G4ELI

wb8yqj wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm Glad Yaesu saw useful functionality enough to invest in the idea. If Yaesu can provide a "topographical" display with the limited processing power in the transceiver - Simon can best it by an order of magnitude, no question.

de Wb8yqj Don
Carlsbad, Ca. USA
What we could do on Windows would be spectacular but it would be eye candy.
www.sdr-radio.com

wb8yqj

Unread post by wb8yqj »

Fair enough OM Simon - it's your kitten!

Guy Atkins

Unread post by Guy Atkins »

During the 1990s I worked for a leading manufacture of NDT equipment used for the inspection of pressure tubing found in nuclear powerplants and nuclear powered subs & aircraft carriers. Some of the higher end data analysis devices presented the tubing defects data as a 3D waterfall display, which greatly helped the engineers and techs to spot areas of corrosion in the early stages. The technology used in this equipment is eddy current testing (ECT).

Imagine a length of tubing split lengthwise and "unrolled" to a flat state. The smaller cracks, flaws, and discontinuities became much easier to discern in the X-Y plane when the "Z" axis was added for depth. This is an excellent example of the benefit of a 3D waterfall, but note that is is fully static... just a representation of the data in width, length, and depth. There is no time scale, although regular inspections at these power plants provided additional data sets that could layered up as "frames" in an animation. Growing or worsening tubing defects could be seen as in time-lapse photography.

The second image in the slideshow on this page from the company's web site shows a 3D plot: https://www.zetec.com/products/eddy-cur ... -products/ I remember what a big advance this was for the company, when we able to offer customers a 3D-looking version of what previously was a lengthy series of basic 2D charts. If nothing else, it really sped up the identification of flaws in the tubing.

Converting the 2D waterfall to a 3D-perspective display in SDR-Console indeed sounds like beautiful eye candy for the future... but I wish I could think of a way it could help DXers to dig out more signals, or make the chase easier!

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

"but I wish I could think of a way it could help DXers to dig out more signals, or make the chase easier!"

The display is not just 3D but it shows the signal in the time domain (depth), within some time limits we can see more small signals that fades a lot in the noise. It can also be very helpfull to determine unknown transmission systems.