Using potentiometers for Tx Drive, Gain and Proc

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
2E0SIP

Using potentiometers for Tx Drive, Gain and Proc

Unread post by 2E0SIP »

Hello,

I am considering making an Arduino based MIDI interface to use with SDR Console. As far as I can tell it's assumed that Tx Drive, Gain and Proc are assigned to buttons. Is it possible to use potentiometers for these functions?

Thanks

jdow

Re: Using potentiometers for Tx Drive, Gain and Proc

Unread post by jdow »

You might want to describe how you want to use potentiometers here. About the only sensible things that comes to mind requires a spring loaded potentiometer that returns to center. Then you could encode how rapidly the frequency change happens. But such controls are unsatisfying for me to use. YMMV.

If you want to encode the range between X and Y then you get 127 steps for selecting the frequency you want. That's a MIDI limitation.

Rotary encoders would be more traditional feeling. A nice heavy knob with adjustable braking would be ideal and very $$$. They are "more or less" compatible with the MIDI interface if the interface grows an understanding of the "vol" level on the commands. The Arduino could even encode some acceleration to the control.

Basically I suspect the answer to your question is "no" at this time.
{^_^}

2E0SIP

Unread post by 2E0SIP »

Hi jdow, I only want to use potentiometers for Tx Drive, Gain and Proc which are fixed between 0 - 100%, rather than for tuning

Thanks

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

That might work if you can accept a granulation within 127 steps. Simon would have to accept the "volume" byte information as setting.

{^_^}

2E0SIP

Unread post by 2E0SIP »

Thanks jdow. Is someone able to move this thread to the "requests" section?

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Moved, but left a placeholder where the thread was originally posted, so it will appear in both sub fora.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

2E0SIP

Unread post by 2E0SIP »

Thank you

2E0SIP

Unread post by 2E0SIP »

On a similar subject I'd like to see MIDI support for RIT / XIT - Not sure if this should be in a new thread.

Thanks!