Ease addition of IP-interfaced radios

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
sm6fhz

Ease addition of IP-interfaced radios

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Simon.

Maybe adding more IP-based radios in the drop-down list in "Radio Definition" under the "Add" button would ease setting up these radios if you have IP-address and all other information at hand. I guess the .dll files already are available, they just need to be pointed at.
The radios I miss in the drop down list would be AFEDRI, RTL TCP and HL2. Maybe there are more of them that I forgot here.

Especially if the radio is remote at a IP-address outside your LAN it would make it much easier to set it up.

An alternative could be a "Copy" button in parallel with the present "Add", "Edit" and "Delete" buttons.
Mark a radio already defined and copy to a new entry where you can edit the IP-address etc to make it valid for the new radio.

See attached screenshot.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
Attachments
Add_IP_Radio_dialouge.PNG

Simon G4ELI

Re: Ease addition of IP-interfaced radios

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Ingolf,

Some radios are added via the Search option as a response to a Multicast, I also use the Multicast logic to determine the radio I've started as that can sometimes be the only way to get model / serial info.

If you give me a scenario where you can't detect a radio via Search I'll look at the code.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Simon.

When I encountered imbroglio was when I should search for my AFEDRI that was in an external network and SDRconsole would not find it. I use my laptop in different places and want to be able to access the SDR's.
Fortunately I had a AFEDRI definition that I could edit to the correct IP-address. Then, when I was back in the same network as the AFEDRI I had to search for it again and add it to the definitions in order to get back the definition in this network. If I hadn't had the first definition to edit, I would not had been able to access from outside. Maybe there is another way to handle this that I am not aware of, if so please have patience and forgive me for my ignorance.
I guess the same situation could arise with other Ethernet interfaced radios. That is why I bring it up as an proposal for making SDRconsole more easy to set up.
A "Copy" button for the Ethernet interfaced radio definition would be an alternative, if you already have a definition and want to keep the you have, but still need a slightly different one.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon G4ELI

I think the approach of creating a definition when you're in the LAN is correct. There are sometimes things I need to know such as serial numbers etc., manual entry would not work well.

Another option is, of course to run the server.
www.sdr-radio.com

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

OK Simon, I see.
Would a "Copy" button , edit, "Save" approach in the Radio Definitions be compatible with the restrictions and possible to handle?
I run a SDR-server as well, but sometimes it is a easier solution with just an Ethernet interfaced SDR and a network connection. Least amount of equipment possible in the remote location. Join that with PoE and a lot of possibilities opens up.
This is not an essential feature, just a make life more easy thing :-) inspired from the grief I ran into.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon G4ELI

To be honest I just don't want to do this unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm trying to slow down the programming in SDR Console so I can get on with other programs next year.

If it is ever 101% necessary and there's no way around this then I will look at it but I must know the model of SDR.

There's no way I'll do this in 2020 - I am keeping December free as I may have to move my website from Duda to WordPress.
www.sdr-radio.com

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Thanks for your time and answer Simon.
It is not at at all necessary, I just saw the possibility for making it easier for others.
I solved my task by going the long back-road I described and I will, hopefully, not need to do it again for some time ;-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Simon.
One reason for accessing the AFEDRI directly to it's IP and not via the server is that you can set max 1000 kHz BW in the "WAN" drop down interface in the server.
So I can not use the 1333 kHz BW of the AFEDRI via the server for remote recording of the full MW-band.
I will post a separate proposal on this in the Server folder on this forum.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
Attachments
Screenshot-2020-11-22-130033.jpeg

Simon G4ELI

AFEDRI can be accessed without multicast detection so I'll add it to the list, kit today.
www.sdr-radio.com