hermes lite - various Rx gain issues

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
bob edwards

hermes lite - various Rx gain issues

Unread post by bob edwards »

Hermes Lite / SDR Console is a great combination, my favourite sdr.

This is a request for a button in the 'Radio' section to set SDR-Console automatically controlling the 'RX Gain' level so that the rather modest 12 bit receiver a/d is served with the largest possible signal with only occasional overload. This level floats up and down a lot during the day. I notice this version of thetis includes auto-levelling to keep the ADC at optimum input.
Hermes Lite Autogain suggestion.jpg
With gateware 72.8 that came installed on this radio, it was noted that Hermes Lite LEDs ADC 75 and 100 flashed during speech peaks. This caused me to (falsely) believe I was overdriving the transmitter. Discussion with Hermes Lite hardware author established:-
1. ADC75 and ADC100 only relate to the receiver, they aren't transmitter indicators
2. He suggests the receiver programmable gain amplifier is not being set to minimum gain during transmit. Suggest if the receiver is not being used during transmit that this be set to minimum gain to prevent the LEDs flashing. If the receiver is manually set minimum gain, then no LED flashing occurs, confirming the root cause.

There are currently two 'Mute Rx during transmit' controls - one in the Hermes Lite Radio Configuration window:-
Hermes Lite Mute.jpg
one in the Pure Signal feature, which is a variable mute:-
SDR Console Rx mute.jpg
Both seem to work fine, but why two controls?

Great software, keep it up, regards, Bob G4BBY