virtual serial ports problem

⭐ All other software not in the list below, e.g. Log4OM
Douglass Allen

virtual serial ports problem

Unread post by Douglass Allen »

SDR Console apparently can not find my virtual serial ports set up with com0com or other serial emulator programs because instead of loading properly and showing up under Devise Manager Ports (Com & LPT), they are listed separately on their own line "com0com- serial port emulators." Is that why SDR Console doesn't find them? Solutions? After many, many hours of trying, I still can not use a third party ap that requires virtual serial ports. This same problem has occurred on two different Windows 10 laptops.
If you email me DougK4LY (at) gmail.com, I can send some photos of setup, device manager, etc.
Doug K4LY I

Douglass Allen

Re: virtual serial ports problem

I received two replies (thank you) which I can no longer find after logging in again nor can I find my earlier quick reply. This may tell you something about my computer literacy :P

In reference to the replies this morning I downloaded the latest 64 bit v3.1 SDR Console to two different Windows 10 laptops and also downloaded com0com to each. I have no problem creating virtual com ports which show up on my Devise Manager, but not under Ports (COM&LPT), but rather on their own com0com line above. I wish I could use snip to show you the Devise Manager image here, but the image doesn't appear. jdow, how did you post the com0com image in your answer?
Anyway, I suppose the reason SDR Console can't find my virtual ports is because they are not included under Ports (COM & LPT)? com0coms that my problem? If so, then how to I indicate the Ports destination folder. On 2 and now three computers, the virtual port s are showing up on their own line above the {orts line in Devise manager where as in the video "Creating virtual COM ports with com0com"
the virtual c0m0com ports are shown under the Ports (COM & LPT) heading. If that is not the problem with SDR Console recognizing my virtual ports then I need help for troubleshooting why SDR Console doesn't find the virtual ports.
Doug K4LY

Max

Unread post by Max »

Doug

See here:
https://groups.io/g/win4icomsuite/topic ... s/69283079

If none of those fixes work (the right click on entry in Device Manager then "update driver" seems to be the common fix), I suggest you get a copy of VSP Manager from K5FR. Just email him with callsign and he will give you a link to download for free. In my experience he was very quick coming back with the link. I think people who have had an issue with Com0Com have found that VSP Manager works. I've got it and it works just fine with SDRC.

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php? ... SP_Manager

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Just as an addendum to my last post, I would not recommend "disable Secure Boot" as described in the IO Group post I linked to. I'm pretty sure that should never be necessary. Try VSP Manager if the "right click" thing does not work.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

See in K5FR Wiki the need to remove all versions of Com0Com and also delete the ports created with it before installing VSP Manager and creating new ports:

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=VSPM

Do you view the Forum online or via email? Joanne and my earlier responses are visible just above this one on the Forum web interface:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1189

I'd still just install VSP Manager though.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Doug

I've also just been reminded from another post elsewhere that once installed (VSP Manager), you need to go to the install location of VspMgr.exe, right click on the file and open "Properties" then "Compatibility" tab and set the correct mode. Has to be set to Windows XP mode:
VSP-Compatibility.jpg

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

For com0com do NOT, repeat NOT, use the CNCA0 tyoe configuration. Click the "Use Ports class" tick box for both sides of the virtual com port. Then it behaves like a normal hardware com port.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

Doug, by way of illustration from Joanne's comments for com0com:
com0com.jpg
See video here:

Max

Douglass Allen

Thank you Max and jdow!
I downloaded VSP Manager, set the virtual com ports, and now SDR Studio recognizes the virtual ports and is scanning.
My KB8U FM scanning program is now scanning and uploading to Rabbit Ears https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_one_tuner_map/19
Thank you for your help
Doug K4LY

Max

Unread post by Max »

NP Doug. Glad it got sorted.

Max