VHF/UHF performance (and LF/VLF too!)

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
Max

Re: VHF/UHF performance (and LF/VLF too!)

Unread post by Max »

Has anyone been able to compare performance of the RX888 Mk2 with the Mk1 at VHF/UHF?

Is it significantly different as I understand it uses a newer tuner chip for VHF/UHF, R828D instead of R820T2, bit also has different LNA gain/attenuator arrangements ?

Want to replace my RSP2Pro but wonder if it's worth it? I already have Hermes Lite 2 for HF so not too worried about that as super wide bandwidths on HF not the main priority for me.

Also, totally separate issue (bit not so important to me), and as for my original post, what about VLF?

Any experiences or comparison regarding any, good or bad, are of interest.

Thanks for looking.

Max

Jim S.

Unread post by Jim S. »

Longwave performance is, in a word, poor. I've seen other posts saying that the design of the Bias-T circuitry acts as a filter below 500kHz, and a quick glance seems to support that. It's not completely deaf, but only strong signals are going to get through. (Curiously, the 60kHz time station in my country seems to get through well, but then when you go down further to the submarine signalling stations around 24kHz, response is again reduced, even though the sub stations are both much more powerful and in some cases closer to me than the time station.)

Max

Unread post by Max »

Jim S. wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:54 pm Longwave performance is, in a word, poor. I've seen other posts saying that the design of the Bias-T circuitry acts as a filter below 500kHz, and a quick glance seems to support that. It's not completely deaf, but only strong signals are going to get through. (Curiously, the 60kHz time station in my country seems to get through well, but then when you go down further to the submarine signalling stations around 24kHz, response is again reduced, even though the sub stations are both much more powerful and in some cases closer to me than the time station.)
Thanks Jim. Since I posted the question I've acquired Airspy HF+ which I use now for the very occasional times I want to see VLF (Grimeton for example). But your experience is useful to read.

Max

HenrykF

Unread post by HenrykF »

And which of these both SDR's is better (regarding sensitivity, SN ratio) on the range 100 kHz...108 MHz ? Please advise, thanks a lot :)