what are the "Dither", "Random", and "PGA" options in the radio settings panel?

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
Jim S.

what are the "Dither", "Random", and "PGA" options in the radio settings panel?

Unread post by Jim S. »

I don't see anything about them in the notes that come up with the "Options" button, and the "Help" button doesn't seem to do anything.

jdow

Re: what are the "Dither", "Random", and "PGA" options in the radio settings panel?

Unread post by jdow »

More info please. Which front end? Generically speaking dither is a means of artificially extending the dynamic range extension that comes with decimation. Random is another way of doing the same thing. I am (at the moment) drawing a blank on "PGA".

{^_^}

Jim S.

Re: what are the "Dither", "Random", and "PGA" options in the radio settings panel?

Unread post by Jim S. »

Which front end? The one built in to SDR Console 3.2 -- although I've seen pics of the ExtIO that have at least "Rand" and "Dither".

De-selecting "PGA" seems to drop the noise floor about half an S-unit, but I don't know what it's actually *doing*.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

AirSpy dongles, rtlsdr dongles, RSP1, etc etc. are front ends. There is no front end within SDRC. It uses the external front ends to get the digital data it works with.

{^_^}

Jim S.

Unread post by Jim S. »

Since I posted in the RX-888 subforum, I had assumed it would be obvious that I was talking about the RX-888.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Good point. I beg for a little slack as I'm preoccupied with getting a largish lump in a breast diagnosed and dealt with. So I'm not nearly at my best just now.
{o.o}

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

DuckDuckGo: rx888 mkii "pga"

Got "Programmable Gain Amplifier" - probably not needed unless you are using a really small loop antenna (1 or 2 foot diameter.)

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

Justin Peng comments in this thread about a "VGA" which maybe is the PGA?

https://groups.io/g/NextGenSDRs/topic/r ... 8/96674581

Max

fei666888

Unread post by fei666888 »

These three functions are set for the ADC LTC2208, you can check the LTC2208 specification for related descriptions
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technic ... 2208fc.pdf