RX 888 some things

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
vierh045sdrc

RX 888 some things

Unread post by vierh045sdrc »

Hello all.
Last week, a broadbanded RX888 SDR (up to 32mb) was delivered from AliE by Postnl about 2.5 weeks after ordering. For the enthusiasts here are some notes
- Due to the large amount of data, the RX888 must be connected to the USB 3.
- The RX888 works with HDSDR (with a fresh Exti0 ... dll) and SDR Console (new trial version). There is some instability with both progs (o / a sudden stop). Even with the narrowest bandwidth of 1mb.
- When changing the frequency, the operation stops for a moment.
- The RX gives more signal and noise than when using the Airspy HF + Discovery. The SNR of the Airspy is more favorable up to 5 SNR points.
- There is sometimes overload. An RF control or the like in the program seems useful to me.
- Such points not with the very stable (also 16 bits) Airspy HF + Discovery that works quite narrowbanded. But yes, the Airspy has a different concept.
- Despite these comments, the RX888 is doing well. Also tried something with FT8. Decoding is fine. I am satisfied with the RX888.
- This RX888 is only a must if you want to work broadband. I don't see the point of that myself. Who sees the benefits of such a broadband SDR?

Bert Vierhout, Netherlands
Attachments
RX888_exterior.jpg

micked

Re: RX 888 some things

Unread post by micked »

Q q, do the radio come with usb cable or do I need to buy that separate?

/Mikael

vierh045sdrc

Unread post by vierh045sdrc »

It comes with a usb cable. The side of the cable in the rx888 is different

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

My 666 came with a cable but I guess that could depend on the supplier, is it specifically listed?

Bert,
A wide bandwidth shows all HF at a glance. But SDR-Console is able to set many receivers over the SDR's bandwidth. So if you want to receive lots of signals simultaneously then that is one reason for wanting such a wide bandwidth.

73 Alan

Guy Atkins

Unread post by Guy Atkins »

The wide bandwidth of this new SDR will be very useful! I plan to use my RX888 to capture a handful of shortwave broadcast bands for a few minutes at "top of the hour" and "bottom of the hour" along with medium wave on my DXpeditions. No longer will I need to operate two SDRs and two hard drives at once to record the ranges of frequencies I'm interested in. Since I'm mainly a DXer I'm after the IDs often found at top and bottom of each hour. The 8 MHz or 16 MHz (at most) bandwidths of the RX888 will receive all that I'm potentially interested in at a DXpedition site. I look forward to the simplification of my DXing approach that the RX888 will provide.

73, Guy