RX-888 and 3.0.25

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
eckrot

Re: RX-888 and 3.0.25

Unread post by eckrot »

Hi Simon,

I now made some more experience with my RX-888 and Console, it works pretty good! Most of the time - what I still observe is the 'memory eating' effect. It starts when Console starts to stutter, caused by other processes running temporarily on my PC. As soon as Console started to stutter (so, not enough processor power available), the memory used by Console starts to count up until (in may case at app. 20GB RAM usage) the PC stops working.
Just to mention it again. Maybe you should have a look at it.

Thanks!

73 Eckhard

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

eckrot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:04 am Hi Simon,

I now made some more experience with my RX-888 and Console, it works pretty good! Most of the time - what I still observe is the 'memory eating' effect. It starts when Console starts to stutter, caused by other processes running temporarily on my PC. As soon as Console started to stutter (so, not enough processor power available), the memory used by Console starts to count up until (in may case at app. 20GB RAM usage) the PC stops working.
Just to mention it again. Maybe you should have a look at it.

Thanks!

73 Eckhard
Please post screenshots!

You do not have enough power. Get a GPU!
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

eckrot

Unread post by eckrot »

Ok, here they are ...
The lower was taken after running the Console for a few hours, RAM usage is constant at 2GB and all is working perfectly.
Then I stressed my system by opening Ligthroom, but it also could have been just Chrome with many tabs open or whatever brings my (weak) CPU to the limit. This (of course) limits the ressources for the Console, stuttering starts and RAM usage is increasing constantly while beeing in this overloaded situation. After going back to normal system load (closing the other programs, no stuttering anymore), the used RAM size stays where it was brougth to during the overloading situation, but counting up again as soon any overload/stuttering appears again. See second screenshot, having now 5.4GB of RAM usage. As I wrote before, I can drive this up to 20GB before my system is chrashing (meaning: no reaction at all, hard reset needed to come over this).
Of course this is not the right way to use Console ... but if any short overload situation is counting up RAM usage till system crash, maybe this could be handled somehow by limiting the allowed RAM usage and stopping the radio. I also tried to find out what could free RAM, but I found nothing else then closing and restarting Console.

Eckhard
Attachments
Screenshot-2020-10-04-154647.png
Screenshot-2020-10-04-153319.png

Simon G4ELI

Please stop posting - you do not have enough resources to run this SDR I think.
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon G4ELI

Simon G4ELI wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:36 pm Please stop posting - you do not have enough resources to run this SDR I think.
I've added you to the test team. New kit here: viewforum.php?f=63.
www.sdr-radio.com

VK1CM

Unread post by VK1CM »

Eckhard and Simon,

I am running my new RX888 with 3.0.25 with (only) 16 GB RAM (Win10). My i7 PC is reasonably well equipped with SSD drives, etc., and is about 2 years old.

Unfortunately, I get only about 1 to 3 minutes when using 2MHz or more BW before all of my memory is consumed by SDRC and my system locks up.

At program start (with 2 MHz BW or more), mouse and screen are OK, but the audio is very choppy and I see the SDRC memory usage ramping up. By contrast, at 1MHz BW the system is stable and runs well (for ever?) with memory usage constant and SDRC is a pleasure to use!

HDSDR runs fine at 32MHz BW.

Initially, I tried a couple FX3 drivers (including the driver on Simon's site), and tried various USB3 cables, ports and controllers (including a powered USB3 hub and my 'relatively expensive' USB3 card with 1 controller per port). I then read your message about memory, and I could see the SDRC memory growing quickly in resmon when using bandwidths above 1MHz until all 16GB is used, then ...... push the power button!

Any suggestions would be welcomed. SDRC runs very nicely with my other SDRs.

Regards,
Charles.
VK1CM

Information:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0488 64bit Unicode
Graphics GeForce GTX 1070 (Dual 4K monitors)
Attachments
More than 1MHz BW, audio is choppy & memory use grows; GUI & mouse control is OK.
More than 1MHz BW, audio is choppy & memory use grows; GUI & mouse control is OK.
Memory at 1MHz BW, all operation is normal. SDRC runs very well.
Memory at 1MHz BW, all operation is normal. SDRC runs very well.
Memory usage ramping up at 32 MHz BW; likewise for any BW above 1MHz.
Memory usage ramping up at 32 MHz BW; likewise for any BW above 1MHz.

Simon G4ELI

Hi,

I'm looking at this now. FWIW the i7-960 is now 11 years old!

Let's see if it's possible to save some cycles.
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon G4ELI

VK1CM wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:56 pm Eckhard and Simon,

I am running my new RX888 with 3.0.25 with (only) 16 GB RAM (Win10). My i7 PC is reasonably well equipped with SSD drives, etc., and is about 2 years old....
I've added you to the test team, a new kit awaits.
www.sdr-radio.com

VK1CM

Unread post by VK1CM »

Simon,

On my system, 3.0.26 Oct 6th works perfectly up to 4 MHz BW, gets crackly audio at 8 MHz and choppy audio at 16 MHz BW. However, memory usage stabilizes at any BW (with more memory usage as BW is increased). The system no longer dies.

Thank you for your clever (and quick) work!

And yes, my CPU is a bit old now; it came out just before AVX that some software uses nowadays :cry: ! I will be happy to live with 4 MHz BW until I update the CPU & m'board.

Regards,
Charles.
Last edited by VK1CM on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Simon G4ELI

VK1CM wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:32 am Simon,

On my system, 3.0.26 Oct 6th works perfectly up to 4 MHz BW, gets crackly audio at 8 MHz and choppy audio at 16 MHz BW. However, memory usage stabilizes at any BW (with more memory usage as BW is increased). The system no longer dies.

Thank you for your clever (and quick) work!

And yes, my CPU is a bit old now; it came out just before AVX that some software uses nowadays :cry: ! I will be happy to live with 4 MHz BW until I update the CPU & m'board.

Regards,
Charles.
Wait for the Intel 11th generation chips, I'll replace my station PC with 11th gen later this year or early next year.
www.sdr-radio.com