RX888 working fine...then died!

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
klaas

Re: RX888 working fine...then died!

Unread post by klaas »

Hello,
Sorry to make acquaintance this way (Klaas Eldering; PA1KE dutch licensed Radio amateur) but reading the Topic made me feel at home immediately /:) and I jump in here.

I have exactly the same problem with my first RX888 (now on the shelf). I worked for a couple of hours. After that It tried infinitely to mount the USB device , making the mount noise, listing the FX3 Cypress USB driver, after a couple of seconds making the unmounted noise, and removing the list entry and so and so on.

I tried changing cables testing the device on different PC's (also friends ones) with same result. My first conclusion was its just the device itself and probably a bad contact in the USB connector circuit or inside a chip in that circuitry. Ever since I have contact with reseller(s) that give me more or less but still consequent advice that are useless like Can we send you a USB connector to replace the existing one on the board etc.

Trying to get absolute certainty that the device itself has a serious defect I ordered weeks ago a second RX888 with another reseller (in China) but via AE being intermediary as they were with the first one.
I received it Yesterday afternoon and tried it immediately. What a relieve after all my trials. The new device works like a charm from that moment on till now, about twelve hours later, with my SDR Console V 3.0.26 .

Now I am 100% sure the problem is in the device itself I will return it and try to get money back or another good working example.
Happy 2021
Cheers Klaas

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Keep it cool.
{o.o}

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Yes, I had a similar thing with a 666 but that recovered when cool, I added a fan.
It greatly reduced the drift as well as enabling continuous use.
And, possibly increasing life although these days things usually become obsolete before breaking down.
73 Alan

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Hi Klaas
My replacement RX-888 has been working perfectly for the last month. No recurrence of the original problem. So our experiences are the same. But I am still no wiser as to what the problem was. Most likely there are a small number of units which have a fault. My eBay supplier was helpful in providing a replacement and I think you have a good case to ask for a refund.

My RX-888 runs at 35-38C when in constant use. I found that placing the flat side (the side without the cooling fins) in direct contact with the metal top of one of my rigs seems to help with heat dissipation. I've not found drift to be a problem, but mostly I have not used it above 144MHz. I did improve the grounding of the case as has been suggested by others and this reduced spurious signals on 144MHz.

Good lucks with your 888, I hope it continues to work well for you.

73 Dave G3ZQH