RX888 working fine...then died!

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
G3ZQH

Re: RX888 working fine...then died!

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Thanks jdow. Could be, but I tried USB ports on 3 different PCs. Also, there was power reaching at least to the RX-888 LED which turned on when plugged in. I assume the USB ports have this reversible over-current protection or do you mean in the USB socket in the device? I'm reluctant to hack the unit to supply 5V since I am waiting to see if I can get a replacement from the vendor. However, I'll try a simple plug-in tomorrow on my main PC to see if anything has changed.
73 Dave G3ZQH

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

The hub. All ports on PCs are hub based. So does the computer you tried it on deliver enough power to its USB3 ports to power the RX888? Any external hub should be one with an external power supply. I gather the RX888 is power hungry.

{^_^}

fei666888

Unread post by fei666888 »

G3ZQH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:09 pm Thanks Allan and fei666888. Originally I could see the Cypress FX3 USB device in Device Manager but now nothing appears at all- the RX-888 is simply not recognised. I have now tried it on 3 different computers - still no success. I now think that it is the RX-888 that has developed a fault rather than my computer. There was a chunky USB lead supplied so I doubt that it is a problem with USB power (using USB3).

All very frustrating when it promised so much yesterday, and especially as I can't seem to find any reason for the fault. I'll contact the seller and see if they are willing to send a replacement, but not expecting too much (actually the seller was very good as far as delivery was concerned- it arrived in just 7 days after order from China).

73 Dave G3ZQH
If the seller disagrees with the replacement, please tell me which seller it is and I will try to communicate with him

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Hi jdow
That makes sense. The RX-888 was quite warm to touch when it was working. I checked my USB3 hub and it is powered so I guess it could provide the required current.
73 Dave G3ZQH

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Thanks fei666888. I have emailed the seller (topskyrc) but I have not had a response yet.
Dave
fei666888 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:24 am
G3ZQH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:09 pm Thanks Allan and fei666888. Originally I could see the Cypress FX3 USB device in Device Manager but now nothing appears at all- the RX-888 is simply not recognised. I have now tried it on 3 different computers - still no success. I now think that it is the RX-888 that has developed a fault rather than my computer. There was a chunky USB lead supplied so I doubt that it is a problem with USB power (using USB3).

All very frustrating when it promised so much yesterday, and especially as I can't seem to find any reason for the fault. I'll contact the seller and see if they are willing to send a replacement, but not expecting too much (actually the seller was very good as far as delivery was concerned- it arrived in just 7 days after order from China).

73 Dave G3ZQH
If the seller disagrees with the replacement, please tell me which seller it is and I will try to communicate with him

DarkoKZ

Unread post by DarkoKZ »

G3ZQH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 pm Thanks jdow. Could be, but I tried USB ports on 3 different PCs. Also, there was power reaching at least to the RX-888 LED which turned on when plugged in.
Hi!
One stupid question ;)
I read all your posts and don know do you try that usb3 cable with other devices
and do you try rx888 with different usb cable ?
Maybe you get 5V supply but no data lines ?

DarkoKZ

Unread post by DarkoKZ »

G3ZQH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 pm Thanks jdow. Could be, but I tried USB ports on 3 different PCs. Also, there was power reaching at least to the RX-888 LED which turned on when plugged in.
Hi!
One stupid question ;)
I read all your posts and don know do you try that usb3 cable with other devices

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

DarkoKZ wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 am
Hi!
One stupid question ;)
Hi jdow- I can't rule this out since a) I have no replacement USB cable with the same plug type and b) no other USB device with a compatible socket. The cable supplied is heavy duty with a large double-barreled USB plug (SS Hotron E246588 Style 20276). It looks to be of good quality and it did work for at least for a few hours, but you never know...

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Dave,
My problem was USB. But unlike yours it was always recognised on first connection.
(I realised I was not using the heavy original cable and it was not connected directly to the computer. I had checked the 666 worked a few weeks back and was attempting to make a more neat job with a USB3 extension and right-angle connector.)

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Just an update on this...

I returned my RX-888 and received a replacement. This took a long while since my returned RX-888 got stuck in Chinese customs. Luckily I had a good eBay supplier (topskyrc- recommended) who eventually sorted it out. The new RX-888 worked first time and it has been running since for 48 hours continuously with no problems. So, still no idea what caused the original problem I had when it suddenly went dead.

It runs well on my old i7 PC with full 30MHz bandwidth. Very lively on LF/HF. Seems a bit deaf on VHF (compared with AirSpy HF+), but I have only tried up to 144MHz.

Just waiting now for Simon's implementation of the new RX-888 firmware.

73 Dave G3ZQH