RX888 working fine...then died!

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
G3ZQH

RX888 working fine...then died!

Unread post by G3ZQH »

RX888 arrived yesterday. Set up was straightforward after downloading Cypress drivers. It worked very nicely with SDRC. I could access 0-30MHz bandwidth but with high CPU usage (>50% on old i7). RX performance (on ham bands) was similar to my Anan 200D.

Then, after a few hours of playing, I re-booted the PC and the RX-888 was no longer recognised as a device. I tried various USB ports, re-boot etc but nothing would work. Since then I have been unable to get it working. I can see no obvious damage to the unit.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something I'm missing or should I just write off the unit?

73 Dave G3ZQH

G4ZFQ

Re: RX888 working fine...then died!

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

How do you mean "no longer recognised as a device"? Does the USB insertion make the Windows noise?
If it's drivers then Device Manager looks like the left picture here https://www.sdr-radio.com/rx-666#Driver.
If it is not shown in any form then that does not seem good. Have you tried external power?
73 Alan G4ZFQ

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Hummm,
Just tried my 666, showed up correctly until I tried using it.
Then changed to an "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) v 3.0.25 did not like it although it worked a while ago. Windows update?
Alan

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Thanks Alan
No Windows noise on USB connection and the RX-888 is not in the Device list. Not seen by SDRC as a device. When I first installed it came up as 'Westbridge'. Then I downloaded the Cypress FX3 drivers. All was well...for a while. Just now I did manage to get one 'recognition' (Windows USB noise) on one USB port but it stopped after a second insertion.

Of possible relevance - I tried an Airspy and this also was not recognised by USB. But it did work after I tried an alternative USB socket. I have tried unistalling and re-installing the Cypress driver but I see either Code 10 device cannot start or Code 45 device not connected.

The device has power to it (light is on). I'm not sure how to go about providing external power but assume you mean 5V to the USB supply connection?

Thinking back, I did have a short power cut yesterday but seems unlikely that it would have had this effect.

I suspect a USB problem- but I don't have enough knowledge to track it down.

73 Dave G3ZQH

I sent this a while ago but it did not appear...

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

G3ZQH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 am

I sent this a while ago but it did not appear...
First few messages from new users are held automatically. After those messages have been successfully posted and released, full posting privileges are granted. This process is automatic.
This measure is to prevent this board from being flooded with posts advertising little blue pills, enlargements of certain parts of anatomy, or knock-off goods.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Hi Alan
Did you get your RX-666 working? No luck here with my RX-888. It seems dead.
73 Dave G3ZQH

Jim- thanks for message. I understand now...

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Dave,
No, I've not done any more.
I'm not sure my problem is the same as yours. Do you see anything in Device Manager?
I suspect mine is a USB/power problem, USB drops out when an attempt is made to start the 666.
I'll let you know if I find anything.
73 Alan

fei666888

Unread post by fei666888 »

Try to test it on other computers to see if the FX3 device appears in the device manager. If it does die, you can contact the seller for a new one

G3ZQH

Unread post by G3ZQH »

Thanks Allan and fei666888. Originally I could see the Cypress FX3 USB device in Device Manager but now nothing appears at all- the RX-888 is simply not recognised. I have now tried it on 3 different computers - still no success. I now think that it is the RX-888 that has developed a fault rather than my computer. There was a chunky USB lead supplied so I doubt that it is a problem with USB power (using USB3).

All very frustrating when it promised so much yesterday, and especially as I can't seem to find any reason for the fault. I'll contact the seller and see if they are willing to send a replacement, but not expecting too much (actually the seller was very good as far as delivery was concerned- it arrived in just 7 days after order from China).

73 Dave G3ZQH

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It sounds like your USB port blew its fuse. That fuse should reset itself with time. (Should is the operative term.) If there is a way to externally power the RX-xxx I'd suggest using it.

{^_^}