Pictures (Guy Atkins)

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
Simon G4ELI

Pictures (Guy Atkins)

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Repost from the mailing list.
My RX-888 arrived today and the build quality and design look quite impressive for a $188 USD receiver. I do not see any of the sloppy soldering that Bjarne has mentioned on the RX-666, for instance.

Despite there being "GPS" on the shielding cover (probably for the TXCO), I think it is just three letters in the "5076A-GPS" part number. The little piece above it is a trimmer cap, not a small connector for an antenna input.

I've not yet powered up the RX-888, having just received it :^)
Attachments
RX-666-003.jpg
RX-666-002.jpg
RX-666-001.jpg
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

sm6fhz

Re: Pictures (Guy Atkins)

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Guy.
Sound very exciting. Please keep us posted on your progress and findings.
Not the least on large signal performance of the RX-888 with the 20 dB LNA in front of the ADC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Bjarne Mjelde

Unread post by Bjarne Mjelde »

Guy, please run the "does the SDR start up after a PC shutdown/startup" procedure. My RX-666 failed this test.

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Bjarne Mjelde wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm Guy, please run the "does the SDR start up after a PC shutdown/startup" procedure. My RX-666 failed this test.
Not come across this before, can you explain?
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Bjarne Mjelde

Unread post by Bjarne Mjelde »

Well yes. I noted every time I tested the RX-666, that if I did a restart of my PC while the SDR was connected, I was unable to make contact with the receiver afterwards. The dll would report as not connected or something to that effect. I had to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable to be able to connec to the SDR.

Guy Atkins

Unread post by Guy Atkins »

I replied separately to Bjarne, but for those others interested I'll mention here that my RX-888 has *no* issues with failing to connect with the receiver after computer reboots. I have not had to unplug & replug the USB cable, as Bjarne unfortunately has had to do. Mine has worked flawlessly in this regard.

N6ATC

Unread post by N6ATC »

Guy, thanks for answering that question here. I'm sure I wasn't the only person wondering. BTW, I appreciated your post on 'The SWLing Post' and look forward to actual reviews of this receiver (RX-888). Bjarne did a really good one of the RX-666.