New firmware for RX-888

✔ Now supported, kit available by the end of September 2020.
jdow

Re: New firmware for RX-888

Unread post by jdow »

At the price given it very probably will not perform as well as you might want. The blurb very carefully does not mention multiple controllers, which is what would be needed in some cases. A one controller card will handle one RX-888 if nothing else is connected. If you want to handle multiple different devices on a fast enough computer to do so you will likely need multiple controllers.

{^_^}

mick007

Unread post by mick007 »

Thank you for your reply. As it turns out it doesn't fit in my SFF Dell anyway. If I cant get the power I need from the Dell I will use a splitter cable and run 2 connections to the RX for power. I have also decided to mount the SDR closer to the antenna, within 1 metre and use 15 metre long a powered USB3.0 cable.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It's not about power. It's about data rate if you speak RX888 MKII wide open. But, indeed, you would need a powered splitter for such dual use cases as would have the bandwidth required.

{^_^}

mick007

Unread post by mick007 »

I have a powered USB 3.0 data cable which runs 5/Gbs, it has 2 repeater sections in it. I tried it on one USB 3.0 on my Dell and it was returning errors every now and then. I added the splitter cable to give it more juice and now its runs flat out zero errors. Something odd too as the heatsink does not get anywhere near as hot now as it did on just the single USB port. Excellent SDR and having it closer to the antenna works wonders. We tested it on a 15 mtr length of coax compared to the USB extension and there are signals on the USB cable that just are not there on the coax. Less coax the better. Get your SDR as close as possible to the antenna. Noise floor is a lot less too.