Voting or Like/Dislike

General forum information, if you have a problem or question then post here. SDR-Radio.com website. If you want a new forum then ask here.
pauldbnut

Re: Voting or Like/Dislike

Unread post by pauldbnut »

jdow wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm God help us if you implement votes. People who indulge in original thinking would get quashed. That's not good.
Joanne, it's my job to be Grumpy, not yours ;).
I don't think God could be bothered to intervene, it's not the end of the world.
Anyway, don't patronize original thinkers. They likely stick up for themselves if they have any conviction at all.
And it also patronizes Simon who is a visionary himself1. And gets to decide too.
And besides, @goscickiw made a fair argument against, fairly persuasive to my mind. So I'm chilling.

1 Creep, creep, NOT.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Paul, I was a moderator and later on head moderator for a very active section of an online system somewhat similar to the forum software. I got a chance to see a lot of what worked and what didn't work. Voting I've seen not work, although not on that system from years ago. People behave and post differently when votes are involved. They provide a strong incentive to "conformity." I happen to believe conformity is not a good idea. Non-conformists are the ones who create patents, new concepts, and all those good things.

And Simon may be the innovator here; but, on the mailing list he received a lot of good ideas for directions to take SDRC. He has the final vote. But others can pass along creative suggestions.

And, if you do not like my attitude you can tune me out. At 76 years old I'm not changing my ways for some young whippersnapper. (Yes, you did irritate me. I'm not going home to cry to mommy (icky thought considering her current state) nor am I going to riot, cry, throw a tantrum or anything. If I am abrasive as you see it, well, learn to live with it. You are an adult, I presume. That's what adults do. And as you've probably seen by now when I get patronizing the victim generally knows it's happening quite clearly. And in Simon's case he knows I have a great deal of respect for him. I also think that as with any human being he is capable of mistakes. Grumpy old me still thinks this system may be a mistake. It has some flaws. I made some suggestions. Simon is certainly free to ignore them. I do plead a decade of experience comparing BIX to Compuserve to GEnie and to Delphi. Fortunately I believe this system does not allow editing messages once posted. That is good. It is one of the best ways to keep a system civil and mostly troll free. "I never said that," does not survive on a system with no edits beyond deleting messages. {^_-} )

{^_^}

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

You've not met "grumpy" until you've tried to wake my 3 year old daughter up in the morning to get her ready for nursery. Cranky is not the word!!

Good job she's not learned any swear words.

Yet.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

pauldbnut

jdow wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:51 am People behave and post differently when votes are involved.
Hey, why is this thread even still alive?

1. I totally get the quoted point.

2. With Simon too busy to follow every post/thread in detail, the intention was to suggest a tagging mechanism that might just flag up an idea to follow up.

3. I already made it clear I'm not too much in favour of voting any more, and am quite content to be voted down on this :).

4. Joanne's "attitude" does not bother me at all, and I wouldn't dream of "tuning her out". Her contributions are almost always erudite, thought-provoking, fun, or some combination.

5. I don't plead any authority. Any contribution of mine stands or falls by its intrinsic merit or lack of.

@Joanne: This irritating whippersnapper has miraculously clocked up over three score and ten, and just wondering if the thread is going to survive him:).

@G0OFE: Like.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I call it "older than 3/4".
{^_-}

pauldbnut

@jdow