Voting or Like/Dislike

General forum information, if you have a problem or question then post here. SDR-Radio.com website. If you want a new forum then ask here.
pauldbnut

Voting or Like/Dislike

Unread post by pauldbnut »

As far as I can tell there is no current version phpBB extension offering topic- or post-level voting (or even like/dislike?).
While I understand the Console development path is not driven by users, would Simon consider this a desirable forum feedback tool if available some time in the future?

G0OFE

Re: Voting or Like/Dislike

Unread post by G0OFE »

Just had a look and there really does appear to be nothing that allows polls to be done on here.
Quite surprised about that.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

pauldbnut

G0OFE wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:34 am Just had a look and there really does appear to be nothing that allows polls to be done on here.
Quite surprised about that.
Well, Jim, there seem to be add-ons to create polls as topics, but apparently not tagging individual posts.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

goscickiw

Unread post by goscickiw »

Simon has already answered this question before, and it seems like something like that is not going to be implemented. Even if it was, voting against something may be a bad idea as interesting features may be downvoted by many people and never implemented. Voting FOR something however would be a good way to tell which features are wanted the most and prioritize their implementation.

pauldbnut

goscickiw wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 am Simon has already answered this question before, and it seems like something like that is not going to be implemented. Even if it was, voting against something may be a bad idea as interesting features may be downvoted by many people and never implemented. Voting FOR something however would be a good way to tell which features are wanted the most and prioritize their implementation.
Hmm, why is that less important than votes in favour? Count the ayes and the nays.
In the end what matters is whether Simon finds it interesting :).
But I've just re-read Simon's earlier reaction in groups.io, so I guess it's a dodo.
Even if it were ever possible, even if it wouldn't do any harm (except prolong debates) :twisted:.

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Good shout.. I'd forgotten about that thread! But in the light of it, the "requests" forum is there to help Simon pick something off to do :D
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

goscickiw

Unread post by goscickiw »

pauldbnut wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:59 amHmm, why is that less important than votes in favour? Count the ayes and the nays.
Because I don't think there is such a thing as a bad feature. I think all of the suggested features should be implemented at some point, some earlier and some later, but none should be excluded (there are some that probably never will be implemented, e.g. porting to Linux, but Simon usually has good reasons to exclude them). If you don't like a feature, don't use it and/or disable it so it doesn't slow down the program. Just like I'm doing with the Matrix and Receiver Pane - nice features but make SDRC extremely slow on my computers.

I think that implementing a new feature would only be bad if that feature was forced on the users, or if a previously existing feature was removed in favor of it. Even then, the feature itself isn't bad, it's the lack of an option to disable it or switch to the older one.

If the concern is that the UI would become too complicated and work slower, the big programs with lots of features like Microsoft Office already have ways to customize what's displayed on the UI.

pauldbnut

goscickiw wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:35 pm Because I don't think there is such a thing as a bad feature.
Very good points. Reckon I'm persuaded :)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

This can only be supported if there's an extension for the forum software, so far I haven't see one. If anyone finds a like/dislike/voting extension for phpBB then let me know.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

God help us if you implement votes. People who indulge in original thinking would get quashed. That's not good.

{o.o}