SAM Question

Robert11

SAM Question

Unread post by Robert11 »

Hi,

Always something new:

Have noticed that when I am on a am station, and the "AM" button is depressed, if I move
to another frequency it seems to automatically go to "SAM".

Why ? Is there perhaps a Default I have set inadvertently somewhere ?

Probably a good opportunity now to also ask if anyone might
explain SAM a bit for me. When to use, what does it do, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Max

Re: SAM Question

Unread post by Max »

Hi Bob

When you say "go to another frequency", how are you getting there? If it's via a stored memory or Favourite don't forget the mode is stored along with the frequency. I personally don't see the behaviour you are describing if I simply enter a new station frequency manually or drag/move the tuning cursor within SDRC.

HOWEVER I know that you use CSV Userlist Browser (CSVUB........ you introduced me to it and very pleased that you did!). So my guess is that you are tuning the next station by double clicking in the list of stations inside CSVUB to tune SDRC "remotely", in which case there is a slightly odd interaction between External Radio Mode Mapping and the serial ports that I discovered when trying to emulate your issue. If you have Mode Mapping set to SAM, then even when not using an External Radio I do see the behaviour that you are seeing.

I don't think this is supposed to happen, but it can be solved by going into Options and set Mode Mapping for AM to AM instead of the default setting of SAM:
Mapping.jpg
Simon, if you are reading this, I don't think this is an intended function of the mode mapping is it?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi again Bob

You also asked about advantages of SAM mode. This explains it quite well:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/artic ... tector.php

Best

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

With the benefit of a night's sleep, if I had looked at my own screenshot properly I should have seen that the title bar in the settings option does indeed say: "Map external program/radio mode to SDR Console mode".

I really must learn to look at what I am doing! So this answers the question I posed to Simon (and also for your information Bob) namely, yes, this is fully expected behaviour when tuning via the list in CSVUB. So if mode is set to select AM as the mode in the external program (in this case CSVUB) then you can choose here whether it then selects AM or SAM as the default mode for AM signals in SDRC.

Max

Robert11

From OP For Max: Re: SAM Question

Unread post by Robert11 »

Hi Max,

Nice to hear from you.

Yes, your suggestion of changing the "mode mapping" setting works.

Thanks; I never would have thought, or known about, that setting.

Will read up on SAM; today's project

CSVULB and Console sure makes a really nice combination.

Best regards, stay well,
Bob

Max

Re: From OP For Max: Re: SAM Question

Unread post by Max »

Robert11 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:12 am Yes, your suggestion of changing the "mode mapping" setting works.
That's great Bob. Glad it fixed it. Looking back over some other posts on all the SDRC groups you are not the only one who has experienced this issue so hopefully will have helped some others too. It also helped me too as was not aware that setting affected external programs in addition to external radios.

Stay safe.

All the best

Max