Zoom feature while recording IQ data?

SpE

Zoom feature while recording IQ data?

Unread post by SpE »

Is it possible to use the zoom slider while I am recording an IQ data file?

I have an Airspy HF+ Discovery with a maximum bandwidth of 912 kHz. I would like to start SDR Console recording an IQ data file of the medium wave band and while it is recording, I would like to zoom in to various frequencies of interest. Without zoom it's difficult to see the weaker DX signals amongst the crowded band with some of them only a kilohertz or two away from the locals and I'd like to tune through them with greater resolution. Also, adjustment of the green bandwidth bars with any precision is difficult at minimum zoom (I typically use bandwidths of 1.8 to 2.5 kHz for difficult stations), and accurate frequency measurement to within 100 Hz is also difficult.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears this isn't possible as when I tried zooming in the green bandwidth bars didn't increase in width and the frequency scale didn't line up with the spectrum, showing inaccurate frequencies. Do I need to change any settings in order for this to work?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

sm6fhz

Re: Zoom feature while recording IQ data?

Unread post by sm6fhz »

Hi Dave.
I record the full MW-band a lot using a AFEDRI Net SDR. It is fully possible to listen during IQ-recording without interrupting the recording.
I mostly make use of the "IF-display" (to the far left in the enclosed screenshot) and moving the Rx-frequency within the recording BW. I lock the recording frequency while recording.
Have you tried using the "Rx-pane", "Rx-matrix" or "Multi Band Display" buttons seen at the very top to the left in my screenshot (under the "Receive" tab)?
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ
Attachments
MW recording example
MW recording example
SDRC MW-display
SDRC MW-display

SpE

Re: Zoom feature while recording IQ data?

Unread post by SpE »

Thanks Ingolf. I took another look at it last night and I think you need additional receivers to take advantage of the receiver pane and matrix features, however the muilti-band option is a reasonable work around to the problem. It's not ideal as you lose access to lots of features like record, the DSP panel, the on-screen clock etc (they are still there but in the window behind the matrix display) plus the ability to step through frequencies with the keyboard. The exact frequency isn't shown either but it is better than what I had before when viewing the band.

Hopefully in future versions the ability to zoom in when recording will be made available.

Dave
Attachments
Screenshot (142).png