Can you lock the zoom level?

W3WTW

Can you lock the zoom level?

Unread post by W3WTW »

Is there any way to lock the zoom level? I zoom in/out to a preferred bandwidth and when I mouse-click a frequency, the zoom changes back to the middle of it's zoom range. I'm constantly zooming in/out, mostly out. I like to see a larger bandwidth.
Thanks

EDIT...while I'm here....
Is there a way to not center the display on a mouse click? As noted above, I'd like to see a preferred bandwidth and be able to click anywhere in it, without the new freq being centered.

Simon G4ELI

Re: Can you lock the zoom level?

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Use favourites.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

W3WTW

Unread post by W3WTW »

Thanks @Simon

Is there a way to not center the display on a mouse click? As noted above, I'd like to see a preferred bandwidth and be able to click anywhere in it, without the new freq being centered.

Max

Unread post by Max »

W3WTW wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:10 pm Is there any way to lock the zoom level? I zoom in/out to a preferred bandwidth and when I mouse-click a frequency, the zoom changes back to the middle of it's zoom range. I'm constantly zooming in/out, mostly out. I like to see a larger bandwidth.
Thanks
Turn this off in the "View" tab:
Centre.jpg

Max

W3WTW

Unread post by W3WTW »

Thanks, Max. That didn't do anything.

Max

Unread post by Max »

W3WTW wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:06 pm Thanks @Simon

TBH I don't recognise any of the behaviour you are describing. In fact when I looked back in the forum archives I can see it's a feature (centre on click) that was requested back in 2018 but AFAIK Simon has ever implemented it.

If I have a certain width of display on the waterfall and I click anywhere within it the waterfall does not recentre. The tick box I pointed you to only recentres the display on changing the zoom setting. That's one of the two auto-centres I'm aware of.

The other one is selectable when you call up the frequency entry box. This (if ticked) will recentre the waterfall on the cursor when you type in a new frequency. But it does NOT recentre on a mouse click. I've never seen that in many years of using SDRC.

So what it makes me think is that when you click you are also maybe sending a zoom command somehow? But how on earth that is happening I have no idea.

Out of interest, what hardware are you using to click the waterfall? Standard mouse, three button mouse, controller of some sort?

A screenshot might help. One of before the "click" and another immediately after the click that centred the screen. Or make a video recording of the SDRC screen when prompting that behaviour (using the built-in video recorder) and up load it to Google Drive or some such then post a link to that video, so that we can see the issue "in action".

I've also never seen the other behaviour that you mentioned i.e. re-setting of the zoom range to the middle of the range when clicking. Once I've set the zoom range it does not move after that unless I (1) recall a favourite with a memorised range or (2) touch the zoom slider. Something very odd going on here in both cases, hence my question about what hardware you are clicking with? It made me think maybe you were using a Midi controller of some sort but as far as I can see even if this was the case there's no option to send a zoom command using midi? All very odd.

I think more info and at the very least the two screenshots I requested above.

Max

W3WTW

Unread post by W3WTW »

Max wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 pm
Thanks, Max.

Let me know if you can't see this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mTNM6O ... share_link

Anywhere I click, the display centers. Anytime I zoom, then click somewhere, it centers and resets the zoom.

I'm running an IC7300 with a PTRX-7300 panadapter board connected to a RSP1A SDR.

Max

Unread post by Max »

W3WTW wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 am Let me know if you can't see this:

Anywhere I click, the display centers. Anytime I zoom, then click somewhere, it centers and resets the zoom.

I'm running an IC7300 with a PTRX-7300 panadapter board connected to a RSP1A SDR.
Excellent video. No, I don't see that behaviour at all but I use Hermes Lite 2 SDR, no external radio.

At the moment the only thing I can think of is that it's the external radio that is somehow forcing the bandwidth of the display back to 50kHz every time you move frequency. I think if you dis-enabled the External radio and used the RSP as a receiver that you would see normal behaviour.

So for starters, take a look at this setting in the External Radio options (press question mark top right of External Radio panel to bring it up). I would wager it's set to 50kHz? Try setting this to "Default" and then see what happens?
Span1.jpg

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

W3WTW wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 am
Thanks, Max.

Let me know if you can't see this:

Hello Timothy

For my own interest (and "solutions memory bank") I wonder if my suggested solution sorted your issue? Be interested to know.

Best

Max

W3WTW

Unread post by W3WTW »

Max wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:16 pm
Hello Timothy

For my own interest (and "solutions memory bank") I wonder if my suggested solution sorted your issue? Be interested to know.

Best

Max

Hey Max. Changing the bandwidth only changes the received bandwidth. It does not change the what I am experiencing. It still centers the display on every mouse-click and the zoom zooms back to where it was.