always the same frequency span in sdr console

Max

Re: always the same frequency span in sdr console

Unread post by Max »

I think to fix this Simon would need to get across it and have a look at the log file. He should be able to throw some light on it.

It's odd for sure because many of us are using RTL-SDR dongles with no issues. I just cannot seem to reproduce the issue that you are having.

Hope you get it sorted as I can see it's frustrating.

Best

Max

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

Where is the log, I can paste the log here.
Or I can give Simon acces to my computer with teamviewer or anydesk.

Max

Unread post by Max »

pirpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:23 pm Where is the log, I can paste the log here.
Or I can give Simon acces to my computer with teamviewer or anydesk.
Tools Tab. I don't know for sure it the log file has the data Simon needs for this particular issue but you can give it a go. Suggest erase it, then start SDRC and dongle then try a few frequency changes then save the log file. I doubt if Simon will want to get involved in "one to one" fixing but he may be able to see something untoward.

Max
Attachments
LOG.jpg

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

Ok, I erase then restart then change the frequency , stop, start, change the frequency, stop, start...
SDR Console tmp.txt
(51.46 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

I just try to use two dongles at the same time but then it does not work at all.
console show's only one dongle and if I try to start it it doe not show anything.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

For that last you must change one of the dongle's serial number. That can be done in the rtlsdr dongle property pages. I believe this is explained on SDR-Radio.com.

So I pulled up the file. I am seeing some VERY strange data in there. One of them, at least, identifies as vid and pid of 0bda 2838. This make sense for a generic rtlsdr dongle; but, the tuner identifies as a "Fitipower FC0012". This is VERY bad. I see the other one identifying the tuner incorrectly, too.

Is this a used dongle?
Did you substitute any of the files, such as the rtlsdr.dll file?
Pull one out. Put it aside for now. Let's get ONE dongle sorted out then worry about two in the system. With only one there is no address confusion. That may be sufficient to fix your problem. But the tuner ID worries me a lot. It is a very rare setup if that's really what you have. And it's at least partly broken when it IDs as 0BDA 2838 without an RT820T tuner found. Somebody has mucked around in there.

Just out of a sense of curiosity could you take a picture of both sides of one of the dongles? That might help sort it out.

{^_^}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

0-02-05-cc3492bd489875f72a32fbee648aba143e201dbcd2f1c7bec09700a1230eb3a1_5a0b175af8f43f6e.jpg
0-02-05-18f649c50ba1c5fbee59625fa455dff3e7c49417d987ea6c6f02626ffa7d9307_23e58b0e903cb1f1.jpg
the log is from the black one, the silver was not connected at the time.
but the silver one behaves the same and the sdr was originali installed for silver one.
the silver is original , the black I dont realy know :), but they all work ok on the other windows partition.

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

"Did you substitute any of the files, such as the rtlsdr.dll file?"
I'm not sure about that but if I did it was months ago and I have since install and reinstall sdr and drivers multiple times since.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

If the dongles are fakes they should work depending on how the software is written. Could you please capture a log with the silver one without the other one plugged in? I want to see if Simon's code reports the same tuner as the black one returned. The reported tuner bothers me. The gain selections offered also do not fit the expected R820T tuner selections.

Looking at the log you posted it appears you were trying to do something with a satellite. That leads me to wonder if you have something more than a simple SDRC with rtlsdr dongle configuration. Rig control thrown into the picture might do something similar to what you see.

So, please run the silver dongle with SDRSharp or some other tool, select the dongle and 2.4 Msps sample rate. Tune it to some frequency in the FM broadcast band. Then grab a screen shot with the "Home" ribbon menu selection. Next grab the middle of the bottom frequency scale below the waterfall. Slide it to one side or the other maybe a couple hundred kHz. Grab another screen shot. The spectrum and waterfall should change but the listed frequency should move to remain fixed on the station you were tuned to. Then reply to this message with the two pictures and any observations you think might be interesting.

If that works I'll try to think of another set of tests that might show why you were getting the effect shown.

{^_^}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

Here is the log from rtl-sdr.com dongle
SDR Console_rtl-sdr.com.txt
(34.38 KiB) Downloaded 46 times