always the same frequency span in sdr console

pirpy

always the same frequency span in sdr console

Unread post by pirpy »

Hello
I'm having problems with my new windows 10 computer.
the sdr console frequency is fixed and cannot be changed, I can punch in new frequency but the spectrum stay's the same .
I can zoom in and tune in to stations on the frequency span that the console started with.
If I want a new frequency span I have to punch in new frequency then stop and start the radio or restart the console.
It seem's that the only time the sdr console can tune the frequency is on start.
I have reinstall the driver many times with zadig but always the same result.
I get the same result with 3 diferent dongles.
on the same computer and old windows 10 partition everithing work's fine.
Please help, I dont want to reinstall windows for this.

Max

Re: always the same frequency span in sdr console

Unread post by Max »

pirpy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:03 pm Hello
I'm having problems with my new windows 10 computer.
the sdr console frequency is fixed and cannot be changed, I can punch in new frequency but the spectrum stay's the same .
I can zoom in and tune in to stations on the frequency span that the console started with.
If I want a new frequency span I have to punch in new frequency then stop and start the radio or restart the console.
A screenshot in the problem state would be a good place to start. Please do not crop it or edit it. Attach it to the message full sized. Do not insert it as a picture.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Max

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

the real frequency of local radio
sdr1.JPG
now I change the frequency to 207 MHz but the radio is still playing..
sdr2.JPG
and at 307MHz or any other frequency
sdr3.JPG
the only way to change the frequency for real I have to stop and start the radio.
after restart Im listenning the real 307 MHz
sdr4.JPG

mbott

Unread post by mbott »

What happens when you open the "Filter" panel, found right under the "Mode" panel? Changing the mode should also affect the bandwidth.
--
Mike

Max

Unread post by Max »

pirpy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:03 pm I have reinstall the driver many times with zadig but always the same result.
I get the same result with 3 diferent dongles.
on the same computer and old windows 10 partition everithing work's fine.
Please help, I dont want to reinstall windows for this.
Yes, it's an odd one for sure. Are you using the exact same SDRC radio Definition on the old installation and also the new one?

To me it does point most likely to the radio driver. Did you totally remove Zadig before reinstalling? See note here about being logged in as Administrator to remove old installstion:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/getting-the-rtl ... t-page-1/
Did you exactly follow these instructions when installing Zadig?

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Also see the notes about Windows sometimes overriding the Zadig installation to auto-install drivers for DVB.

What brand/type is the RTL Dongle? Are the others you tried the exact same dongle?

Max

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

Filter and mode works but it does not change the frequency .

I try to uninstall drivers and install dvb and then the dongle does not work in sdr, then reinstall drivers with zadig as per instruction many times but always the same result.
I have 3 dongles with the same chip, one of them is RTL-SDR.COM V3
it must be radio driver and windows compatibility problem, I also try other sdr software (HDSDR...)
Is there anithing else in windows that I could remove and reinstall besides radio drivers that have something to do with it ?

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

He'd not be getting this far without successfully running Zadig. I've not seen this before; nor can I imagine what would do it normally speaking.

There is a "lock" setting to prevent the controls from tuning the radio when you don't want it to change settings. That would be the "lock" setting in the ribbon. Alas, neither lock or unlock is highlighted to indicate the status. Experimenting might make a difference.

What happens when changing from 107.0 MHz to another FM broadcast station?

Moving to 3.3 would likely be a good idea.
Refreshing the definition for the dongle might make a difference.

What is your new Windows 10 machine? It might have issues with power for the USB accessories. A powered hub might make a difference. There is a remote chance that the CPU is not powerful enough. But, that would suggest the computer is a very old used computer. In that case setting the resolution and update rates down to minimum might make a difference.

Beyond that nothing else comes to mind.

{o.o}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

The dongle is rtl-sdr.com, the other 2 have the same chip
The lock is not the problem, I can move around the spectrum and listen to frequencies, I can tune to other radio stations as long as they are on the current spectrum.
I have latest stable version 3.2, been trying older versions.
the computer is ryzen7 and it is not the problem, it works fine with older windows 10 on the same computer but other partition.
refreshing the definition for dongle ? how do I do that?

Max

Unread post by Max »

Not that it makes any odds to this particular issue, but I did note in last screenshot, in the Radio panel (Home tab, top left) you have the dongle set to HF mode. Should be "None" for VHF. My guess is this was inadvertent at time of the screenshot. Anyway, should make no difference to tuning. Just mentioning.

Also, as Joanne says, update to latest version of SDRC, maybe the Beta (3.3). I'm using it and it's stable for me. Again, most likely makes no difference in this particular case, but worth a try.

Max

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

Thanx but beta 3.3 does not fix it . :(
It's ok I usualy do not need to change frequency that offen but with qo-100 satelite, I would like to use geostationary beacon for compenzating the frequency drift and that does not work because of this issue.