Propagation area

General forum information, if you have a problem or question then post here. SDR-Radio.com website. If you want a new forum then ask here.
lappydesktop

Propagation area

Unread post by lappydesktop »

Would a "Propagation" topic be useful for HF ?, or propagation results , or what is that shown on the sdrc screen .

Like for instance in the picture , see all those horizontal lines going up and down in frequency (mostly down) in the waterfall , the real quick explanation would be to say "squigglys" as associated with the sound but there are chirps and fizzes and other weird names they have, but the in-depth explanation is quite involved .
Such as squiggles are thought to be protons? i forget , that have arrived at earth from the sun and instead of going past or through earth get trapped in the gravity field and spin around earth close to the speed of light slowly degrading until if fizzes out or pops , so the fizz and or pop are what one hears out of the speaker .

There would be many topics imo , and maybe it also could be used as a "What was heard or received meeting place"?
If its sounds like a waste of time i'm ok with that also 8-)

Btw , i got my old call sign back 5 days ago , VK4AGK
Screenshot-2023-03-13-121725.jpeg

Douglass Allen

Re: Propagation area

Unread post by Douglass Allen »

Congrats on getting your old callsign back. Don't you think those very weak, low level signals you're seeing are RFI from all the computers, walwarts, and other computerized gadgets in your neighborhood plus probably some spuious signals introduced by your SDR radio and software. Anything that weak is probably not a problem or worth investigating IMO.
As for VHF and UHF propagation I regularly monitor APRS tropo, DX Maps, Hepburn's tropo predictions and many others. There are many forums on the web for posting DX and interesting propagation events. Not sure you are referring to those?

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Wide, squiggly lines lowering if frequency with time are RF Ovens. They leak RF and harmonics are heard all over the place.
Here's 20M at 6PM local time.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Attachments
Screenshot-2023-05-08-180443.jpeg
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

lappydesktop

Douglass Allen wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:11 pm Congrats on getting your old callsign back. Don't you think those very weak, low level signals you're seeing are RFI from all the computers, walwarts, and other computerized gadgets in your neighborhood plus probably some spuious signals introduced by your SDR radio and software. Anything that weak is probably not a problem or worth investigating IMO.
As for VHF and UHF propagation I regularly monitor APRS tropo, DX Maps, Hepburn's tropo predictions and many others. There are many forums on the web for posting DX and interesting propagation events. Not sure you are referring to those?
Hi , now i just have to re-train the brain to say AGK instead of the other one .

No , they are Squiggle's , look them up as there is plenty of info about them about mainly on LowFer sites but they are quite common up around 30Mhz when the sun is active , last week there were heaps during that CME result , cheers

lappydesktop

KA1GJU wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 pm Wide, squiggly lines lowering if frequency with time are RF Ovens. They leak RF and harmonics are heard all over the place.
Here's 20M at 6PM local time.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
One is confusing squiggle local lines with the atomic level Squiggly's . :P

lappydesktop

OTHR (over the horizon radar) today on 20m , shown is just after they switched beam direction as it was 10+ over s9 just previously as it took me awhile to locate the screenshot button , now as typing this its down to S3 after another change , talking about wide!

Its good how the software can show this stuff all at once and just how wide they can be , cheers all , Paul
edited- , it looks like they are going around the compass rose with the direction , as after a slight pause (15 seconds of nothing) its been dropping in strength and later probably will return the 10+ over s9
Attachments
Screenshot-2023-09-12-084639.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-09-12-084639.jpeg (195.42 KiB) Viewed 958 times