looking for new receiver

💬 Chat about SDR or radios in general.
hb9rxc

looking for new receiver

Unread post by hb9rxc »

Hello All,

I use Console since long time with SDRPlay devices (RSP1 and RSP2) with (almost) full satisfaction, apart the well know problems (ghosting, etc).
One of the big problem is the restriction to 8 - 10 MHz bandwith that can be received at a time.
For example, it's impossible to listen to the complete air-band (118 - 136 MHz) and set different receivers around the whole band.

So, question: if you would like to buy a better RX device (more or less same $$$) what would it be ? What's the best choice nowadays for general purpose RX ?

I read something about RX666 / RX888 and direct sampling for 0-30 MHz, but what about on higher bands ?

Could you please advice a solution and why ?

Thank you very much, Pietro @ hb9rxc

ukdx

Re: looking for new receiver

Unread post by ukdx »

Not sure you'll find anything in the same price bracket as the SDR Play units.

The RX888MK2 will actually direct sample up to 70MHz on the HF port but it's not supported in Console, above that you have to use the VHF side which I believe uses the same tuner as an Airspy and probably the RSP1A so limited to 8/10MHz width.

What it needs is someone to market a range of down converters, ie Airband and FM broadcast, I've seen a couple of working homebrew units but nothing commercial.

The only SDR I know of that will cover all of Airband is the Elad S3 but that is a lot more expensive than the RSP range.