SDR Starter problem

💬 Chat about SDR or radios in general.
mbzadegan

Re: SDR Starter problem

Unread post by mbzadegan »

There is no transmitter in the proximity of my SDR antenna.
Is there any PDF manual for this model SDR radio?
Attachments
photo_2020-10-07_17-15-14.jpg

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

No there is no manual, it should work the same as any other RTL stick. (plug & play when zadig is installed).
I suspect it is the antenna...the one that came with this box is for VHF/UHF.
Try a indoor HF antenna ( https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-hf-antenna.html )
Even a few meter wire will do better than this VHF/UHF antenna, try that first to see if the box is ok or not.

mbzadegan

ok
Try it with another antenna
Thanks for your help.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

mbzadegan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm Yes exactly, It is Male connector.
Being a paranoid sort please post a picture of the connector showing the front of the connector at about 45 degrees. (coax cable to the rear more or less.) I've had people get confused about what makes the connector male, protruding white insulation cylinder or the protruding pin. I suspect you know what you are doing. But, having seen the error before and who it was who made the error....

{o.o}

mbzadegan

Yes,
It has a pin in the center of the connector.
Attachments
photo_2020-10-09_12-37-05.jpg
photo_2020-10-09_12-37-05.jpg (12.56 KiB) Viewed 627 times

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

And at the angle you are holding the connector there appears to be no damage to it.

I forget if you've mentioned it above - have you measured center conductor and shield continuity and an open circuit center conductor to shield?

You are not using a bog standard typical rtlsdr dongle. You might want to try to reconfigure for the I channel. Personally I never bother to use an rtlsdr dongle on HF. I don't know how Simon has his software configured for direct sampling modes. The rtlsdr HF coverage is clumsy and full of problems. Another thing you might want to do is use the 2,400 ksps sample rate setting and tune to 1.5 MHz on the display center.It should cover the broadcast band and more on the top end - if it works. It MAY be that you got a dose of Chineseium there, too. Or it may be an up-converter based tool with an unknown up conversion frequency. I notice it is labeled to work 25 MHz to 1.7 GHz on one port and 100kHz to 30 MHz on the other. I predict you'd be disappointed in its performance down at 30 MHz on the VHF/UHF input, too.

{^_^}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi Joanna, please read from the start. I have the same RTL box. It should work "out of the box" with a decent HF antenna.

m3ghe

Unread post by m3ghe »

What is this other antenna that you have connected? Description please. You will need at least 10 metres of wire with an earth connection to receive anything.
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

m3ghe

Unread post by m3ghe »

jdow wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:09 pm And at the angle you are holding the connector there appears to be no damage to it.

I forget if you've mentioned it above - have you measured center conductor and shield continuity and an open circuit center conductor to shield?

You are not using a bog standard typical rtlsdr dongle. You might want to try to reconfigure for the I channel. Personally I never bother to use an rtlsdr dongle on HF. I don't know how Simon has his software configured for direct sampling modes. The rtlsdr HF coverage is clumsy and full of problems. Another thing you might want to do is use the 2,400 ksps sample rate setting and tune to 1.5 MHz on the display center.It should cover the broadcast band and more on the top end - if it works. It MAY be that you got a dose of Chineseium there, too. Or it may be an up-converter based tool with an unknown up conversion frequency. I notice it is labeled to work 25 MHz to 1.7 GHz on one port and 100kHz to 30 MHz on the other. I predict you'd be disappointed in its performance down at 30 MHz on the VHF/UHF input, too.

{^_^}
Joanne it was established sometime ago that it is a direct sampling conversion. That type can have two antennas permanently attached, 1 VHF/UHF and 2 HF, SDR Console when set to the Direct Sampling mode automatically switches between modes at 28 MHz.
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

mbzadegan

m3ghe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 am What is this other antenna that you have connected? Description please. You will need at least 10 metres of wire with an earth connection to receive anything.
woww, really!!
I have connected only 2m of single wire direct to the connector hole but still no vocal sound on any frequency.
Do you suggest 10m for AM frequencies?