SDR Console RDS logfile catches Georgia (and Azerbaijan)

💬 Chat about SDR or radios in general.
DaveB

SDR Console RDS logfile catches Georgia (and Azerbaijan)

Unread post by DaveB »

Whilst putting my new PC through it's paces and seeing how far I could 'push' SDR Console I decided to check how sensitive the RDS decoding was by playing back an archived file that includes reception of two FM stations from Azerbaijan. (Previously mentioned in the other forum).

So as per Jim's (G0FE) post on the subject, I was running 10 VFO's simultaneously, and capturing the RDS codes. I had gone through this file (so I thought) exhaustively.

But on the next to last block of frequencies covered - SRD Console logged a PI code of 0951 on 95.1 MHz, as well C201 from Azerbaijan on 93.0 with PS: AZER FM and the same pi code on 94.6 (identified as Azerbaycan in a station announcement).

FMList.org identifies that as a Avtoradio from Tsiblisi in Georgia. (i've attached a screen shot)
Georgia 16Jun2020_0646UTC SDRConsole.jpg
As an aside - the date stamp is wrongly reported by SDRConsole because I copy/pasted the file to an archived folder on another HDD drive. For some reason Windows puts the original file date in the "Date modified" and the date copied becomes the "Date Created". This is a file recorded on another SDR program. The date was 16 June 2020.

The section of the RDSlogfile showing is of interest. The entry at the bottom showing PI code 0951 was created when 10 VFOs were running.The one at the top was with just one VFO to see if there was any improvement in sensitivity. Both lines on the logfile show that the pi code was captured three times. (The 2nd line up - PI code C201 is Azerbaycan Radyo from Azerbaijan).

I'm busy processing files from the 23rd May 2020 in blocks of 10 frequencies. Multiple VFOs logging RDS simultaneously is the best thing since RDSSpy was released, especially after Simon has tweaked the sensitivity of the decoding algorithm.

G0OFE

Re: SDR Console RDS logfile catches Georgia (and Azerbaijan)

Unread post by G0OFE »

Nice log, David, well done!

I had the same thing in 2017, a scan through a file recorded while I was at work dug up an Egyptian station, and more recently, Faeroes on 29th May. Console dug out the code, whereas HDSDR / RDS Spy couldn't.

The only thing I have found is that running multi receivers shows a tiny drop in RDS sensitivity over running just one receiver, but that is probably to be expected.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

G0OFE wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 pm Nice log, David, well done!

The only thing I have found is that running multi receivers shows a tiny drop in RDS sensitivity over running just one receiver, but that is probably to be expected.
Hi Jim,

I've also been trying to quantify the drop in sensitivity between SDRConsole and SDR#/RDSSpy (I'll go stand in the naughty corner afterward for mentioning the "other" software).

So far I have come to the conclusion you can't do a meaningful comparison, as twice when I done so the result is that the RDSpy combo as logged some that SDR Console missed, but SDRConsole has picked up some the SDR#/RDSSpy combo has missed. This is on the same recording, but not under the same test conditions.

But one thing is clear, semi-automating the logging of RDS data va SDR Console means one is less likely to miss signals, compared to manually going through the recordings via the other software, as by allowing SDR-console to look at every second of every frequency in the file means you don't end up missing frequencies which don't appear to have any signals when doing it manualyWhich is how I missed the Georgian station until I ran it through SDR-Console.

And while allowing SDR-console to run the recording I can watch a movie or read a book, breaking off every few minutes to move onto the next bloc of stations and re-stating the recording [must change favourites..done...]

I reckon it is down to the exact point at which the SDR software manages to synchronises with the RDS data stream om a marginal signal.

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

One thing worth trying is using the navigator, select the small segment of the recording you're interested in, and loop it.
I found that worked for pulling out Faeroes under Wenvoe.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR