FT8 on Hermes Lite 2 (or any other SDR TX)

MIDI, ...
Max

FT8 on Hermes Lite 2 (or any other SDR TX)

Unread post by Max »

Trying to get FT8 going with my HL2 SDR (not external radio) but for some reason not having total success. I did at some point have WJST-X controlling SDRC frequency for receive by selecting band setting in WJST-X but somehow I even managed to mess that up and now cannot get it back.

Before losing even the basic operation it looked hopeful because I got audio to and from WJST-X via VAC (that's the easy bit) but even here I set VOX as the TX method, and could see audio getting to mic input above the VOX threshold level but VOX was not triggering for some reason. Is the VOX not able to trigger on narrow band tone perhaps? I checked correct operation of VOX with a mic and all good. Weird.

Anyway, I digress. VOX is not ideal. I'd rather operate via PTT from WJST-X. I am getting very confused as to the need for involvement of Omnirig etc? Does anyone know of a basic guide to setting up WJST-X with SDRC? Is Omnirig involved? I know it plays some part in CW Skimmer but not sure why!

I should mention I do also have virtual comm ports (VSP Manager) installed and working for CW Skimmer and CSVListBrowser, and all working well.

Thanks to anyone who can help with some basic directions. I looked on Simon's SDR-Radio website but I don't see basic instructions for FT8 using WSJT-X unless I missing something.

Thanks for looking.

Max

G4ZFQ

Re: FT8 on Hermes Lite 2 (or any other SDR TX)

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Max,
WSJT-X uses Hamlib.
It is incorporated into the program, just needs the correct settings.
That's about all I know, I'd expect VOX to work but there seem to be various settings on FT8 that could upset it.
I suggest carefully reading the manual and visiting the WSJT-X group https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main Bill, the resident developer is very helpful.
73 Alan

pa3bwe

Unread post by pa3bwe »

Hi,

I can confirm SDRC / HL2 is working with both WSJT-X and MSHV.
Make sure to use a VAC (virtual audio cable) for the audio part and a virtual COM port to connect SDRC with a decoding program.
In the decoding program use the Kenwood TS-2000 as a rig.

73's TooN

Max

Unread post by Max »

Many thanks for replies. Becoming clearer.

OK, so two screen grabs. One is the port settings in SDRC. The other is the Radio settings in WSJT-X which also shows the response (error message) to the "CAT test" button.

I also checked that the serial ports are present and correct in vspMgr. Looks OK.

Is there anything obviously wrong in the screen grabs that anyone can see? I've gone backwards now. Did full rest in WSJT-X, re-entered these settings and now I don't even see any control of SDRC at all, RX or otherwise. At least before it was selecting the correct frequency when I selected the band in WSJT!

Many thanks

Max
Attachments
SDRC-PORT.JPG
WJST-X TEST CAT.JPG

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Toon

Is there any chance you could post a screen grab of the settings panel for WSJT-X for the "Radio" tab when running it with SDRC?

Still no luck here sadly.

Max

pa3bwe wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm Hi,

I can confirm SDRC / HL2 is working with both WSJT-X and MSHV.
Make sure to use a VAC (virtual audio cable) for the audio part and a virtual COM port to connect SDRC with a decoding program.
In the decoding program use the Kenwood TS-2000 as a rig.

73's TooN

Max

Unread post by Max »

Sorry TooN (and all). Ignore last post. Just installed latest update WSJT-X 2.2.2 and it worked immediately complete with PTT via CAT. Problem solved.

Thanks for looking.

Max

Livio Livius

Unread post by Livio Livius »

Max, if you do not mind and continiuning my quest from the HL2 forum.

Current set up HL2, SDRC and WSJT-X (SDRC and WSJT-X lastest version).

I have managed to receive FT8 messages into WSJT-X from SDRC. However when performing the CAT test is failed and with following message See below. Also in WSJT the frequency is not shown if I select it. Tried to find answers on https://www.sdr-radio.com/ but no luck yet.
Naamloos.png
Settings in SDRC

And setting with VSPmanager
Attachments
Naamloos3.png
Naamloos2.png

Max

Unread post by Max »

Livio Livius wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:50 am Max, if you do not mind and continiuning my quest from the HL2 forum.

Current set up HL2, SDRC and WSJT-X (SDRC and WSJT-X lastest version).

I have managed to receive FT8 messages into WSJT-X from SDRC. However when performing the CAT test is failed and with following message See below. Also in WSJT the frequency is not shown if I select it. Tried to find answers on https://www.sdr-radio.com/ but no luck yet.

Naamloos.png

Settings in SDRC

And setting with VSP Manager
So a few differences I can see between your setup and mine ( I don't necessarily understand the settings, just how they are set, and it works for me):

(1) In WSJT-X, in the "Handshake" box, mine is set to "None". Yours is set to "Default".

(2) In VSP Manager, your Com port pair has been created with the two boxes ticked, "Baudrate emulation" and "Linebreak restore" both enabled. Mine were created without the boxes ticked so they are both "Disabled". I don't remember ever changing this so it must have been how VSP Manager was set as default when I created the ports.

(3) ......and I cannot imagine why this would make any difference, but in my setup, the lower (odd) com port number is to SDRC and the upper (even) port number is the WSJT-X, so in my case, Com13 to SDRC and Com14 to WSJT-X. I only mention it so that I covered every difference between our setups.

Other than, all settings look the same all looks the same.

Good luck. Be interested to know if you get it going.

Max

Livio Livius

Unread post by Livio Livius »

Max wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:51 pm Other than, all settings look the same all looks the same.

Max
What rig to select in WSJT-X. I have currently Kenwood TS-2000.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Livio Livius wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:42 am
Max wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:51 pm Other than, all settings look the same all looks the same.

Max
What rig to select in WSJT-X. I have currently Kenwood TS-2000.
Yes, as per my screenshots earlier in this thread.

Max