Restart after band change (RTL-SDR) ?!

Discussion of the RTL-SDR type of radios suct as Noo-Elec etc.
jdow

Re: Restart after band change (RTL-SDR) ?!

Unread post by jdow »

The video does not show a bug that I can see. You do not show any controls you may have manipulated. I see what the title of this topic suggests is an rtlsdr dongle used outside of sane frequencies. It may well be overloaded, badly. But I see nothing that suggests a bug.
{^_^}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

... if you say so ...
If the software of a certain manufacturer, in this case even many different software. Versions of the same software, showing a very specific, unwanted behavior, but not software for the same purpose from various other manufacturers with the same hardware, then for me that's a BUG and not a feature ... ^^
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Then if you don't like it bail out. You're not much help with the debugging. It appears you edited the video so that people cannot see control settings or what changes you made.

SDRC works the way it works. It was designed for specific features. If that means it does not do what you want out of the box I have no idea how I can help you. It's like trying to breath vacuum while trying to diagnose an open space suit face plate. I'm done here.

{O.O}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

oohh wow! So my statements that it is plain AM without any filters or other settings and that it also occurs in the UHF range (for which the RTL is made, as you say) under AM (aircraft radio, for example) and that it also appears on the notebook directly after a fresh installation without any changes are reproducible are therefore completely irrelevant for you? And then you also assume that I edited the video, supposedly to deceive you or others?!

Seriously?!

Under these circumstances and with such allegations, any further discussion should have been superfluous...
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Pictures that show everything in a readable format help. You posted some pictures - that showed no information about how the system was setup. You are using the rtlsdr dongle in a manner almost guaranteed to generate spurious. (I've used it exactly once, while developing my own code for the dongle. Performance was so miserable I abandoned using it.) The video showed nothing useful. And you expect answers. I'm not magic. I'm merely a woman late in her 8th decade with decades of experience with RF and software. I have generated a lot of experience with SDRs in these more modern times. SDRC works. RTLSDR dongles work predictably, if a touch poorly, at VHF. I refuse to touch them at HF. For that I have real equipment working within its specifications to feed SDRC (and SDRSharp.) (I have used others - they demonstrate performance I do not like so I do not use them except in rare events for debugging purposes.)

If you keep the HF antenna hooked up - of course you will receive HF leaking into the dongle. Perhaps I was rash to presume you would disconnect the HF antenna and connect a VHF antenna to receive VHF.

BTW - I failed mind reading 101. In my defense so did all the other students.

{^_^}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

... that's nice ... and as expected ...
I ask questions that are not answered, I provide information that is simply ignored and missing information is simply "assumed" and incorporated as fact. And from this conglomerate of ignored information and sealed "facts" something is then constructed that one simply assumes for the other...

Sorry, but I don't play this game...
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Neither do I. I acknowledge the data you provided. Aside from answering my question about AM or DSB the data has proven useless to move forward. You are seeing something that from my knowledge of the rtlsdr code and the fact that SDRC works properly by itself with a wide variety of front ends that cannot happen. And the data you provided is not enough to prove you right or me right. The images and the video you posted do not show anything that indicates the system did anything wrong. And I believe you have convinced me to remove all rtlsdr related code form my machines, toss the dongles I have, and be done with the God damn things. They are entirely to sketchy in the hands of pseudo-experts to be of use even though in the hands of non-experts they seem to behave nicely, as long as HF is not involved. Non-experts aren't so blinded as the pseudo-experts by preconceptions. Bye

{^_^}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

LOL ok... shure my omniscient and always right deity ... bye then
Greetz...
Micha