Restart after band change (RTL-SDR) ?!

Discussion of the RTL-SDR type of radios suct as Noo-Elec etc.
M*I*B

Re: Restart after band change (RTL-SDR) ?!

Unread post by M*I*B »

jdow wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:53 am You can avoid aomw confusion with SDRSharp if you run it bare rather than with all the community plugins. Get used to it. THEN add ONE plugin, learn it or discard it, and iterate over all the plugins. Youssef does the SDRSharp tool. He does not involve himself in the plugins with very rare and light exceptions.
Sorry to say but you misunderstood me or didn't read the first post...
I don't have any problems with the complexity, but with the software itself, especially the graphics routines used. It's enough if I change the size of the window with the mouse. Then it takes up to 20 seconds for the window to rebuild itself if it doesn't crash first. It gets even worse when you try to change the skin... Then it's all over ^^
I can't tell if this is due to my UHD operation or something else. Today I will install it on my notebook, which also has a UHD display. If it also gets stuck there, I'll try again on my daughter's computer; it has "only" FullHD ...

But even if it's related... I certainly won't downgrade my computer to FullHD ;) Because that's the only (SDR) software application that causes such problems here...

EDIT say:
I have try different SDR#...

1.0.0.1831 DotNet5: Works with limitations:
- Audio spectrum freezes when I stretch the window horizontally over 50% of the screen.
- The autohide / dockable only works to a limited extent

1.0.0.1777 Collapsible-Panels:
- Almost always crashes as soon as I click PLAY, also if I try to close the app
- If not, AGC is a pain in the ass; not useable

1.0.0.1716 NoSkin:
- Stable I think. Only "correct IQ" don't work correctly
- AGC same as before; a pain ^^
Greetz...
Micha

Max

Unread post by Max »

M*I*B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:41 am Thank you for pointing out the HF+. I'll have to think hard about that.
However, I have already had bad experiences with their software SDR#. Perhaps they can do better in hardware than in software or take care for of the Internet presence?!
Micha, you have no worries with the HF+. It's universally accepted as a great little receiver for HF. Only slight disadvantage is limited bandwidth span of 768 kHz but that's not usually an issue for a serious HF listener.

Everything that Joanne says in her last post I agree with fully. I don't have personal experience of the R2 so can't comment, but if Joanne says it's good it's good! But for your use, and to save money, maybe keep the RTL-SDR dongle for VHF/UHF for now, and get HF+ for HF work. You will not be disappointed.

Max

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

... I trust your assessments. That's exactly why I'm here: you're the professionals or at least with extensive experience, I'm the beginner in the field of SDR.
Nevertheless, I have to think about it myself and ask questions (yes, I know..., thinking for yourself is full of Nazis and conspiracy theorists these days...), such as regarding the qualitative discrepancy between the software SDR# and the hardware HF+. It makes no sense to have great hardware that I can then only use with software that is a constant nuisance. That's why I asked the questions about where all the advertised filters are implemented, which have so far remained unanswered...
Also keep in mind that I am not a native English speaker. That's why I sometimes overlook or misunderstand something.

Well, let's see...
I'm going to sell some devices from my collection now. I'll have to go there soon anyway when my wife and I want to leave Europe for our final years... It's amazing how hard it can be to let go things like this...

EDIT say:
Does anyone have experience with the dealer itead.cc?
If I order the Discovery there, it's significantly cheaper than if I order it in Europe...
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It sounds like your install is somehow messed up or your computer itself is under powered. What is your computer? Are you by chance emulating a PC on something else? I have seen SDRC fall behind the way you describe. But it was when the software was not as efficient as it is now. I was also pushing SDRC with rather wide band high resolution settings.

SDRSharp does seem to require a fairly husky computer when resizing windows. Youssef is using a replacement for native Windows facilities. This replacement offers some added features; but, it can be remarkably fussy under some circumstances.

The windows here are one QHD and two FHD. It cruises right along now on this aged but powerful machine - designed for video software work.

Explore tools->options->Nvida Cuda. If you have a moderately recent Nvidia video card "Enable Nvidia Cuda". With an AMD card try selecting the OpenCL setting, instead.

While on the tools ribbon try the "Low Power" setting. Run "DirectX Diagnostics" and attach the report to a message here.

If you could click on the little camera icon in the top bar of the main window while it is running that should show a lot of information about the computer's load which might help diagnosis. Attach it to a message here full size and unedited.

Meant to post that hours ago but Simon took the machine down. So I waited until I crawled out of bed. By then Simon should have this all working again. {^_-}

{^_^}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

(laughs) no, no... Nothing is mixed up there and there is no OS emulation running ;) More like the other way round... Every now and then a VM for C64 and Atari games (I'm just really retro...)
I'm pretty good at computers, started with Ti994A, C20, C64... so it's been a long time. In addition, I am/was an administrator (Hard- and Software, MS-Excange, Firewall, the whole LAN and WLAN including DMZ, a.s.o.) at my former employer and (still) for some non profit website and mail server.
My machine is a Ryzen7 with 32G on an ASUS Phenom with GTX1050Ti -> Philips BDM4037U (3840x2160 nativ). DirectX & Co. are also flawless. I mainly use the machine for CAD (Altium Designer, KiCAD, FreeCAD) and until a few months ago for VR's (2nd Live, RLC, ...)for which I often made my IceCast server at my VPS available for the DJ's.

As you can see, there is nothing wrong with the system in terms of performance, which you are welcome to check in the log. In addition, all other SDR apps run without any problems, as does any other software, including very graphics-heavy ones.
Certainly the graphics card isn't that great and gamers wouldn't be able to do anything with it these days, but so far the graphics card has been more than sufficient for all my applications without exception.

From my point of view, therefore, it makes no sense to drill out the system for a single software aka SDRSharp, which I believe has been "knitted with a hot needle". In addition, it should later also run on the notebook or another small computer, possibly also under Linux as a native SDR system.

Maybe I'll have time this afternoon to test it on the notebook. But if that doesn't work there either, then we can forget the topic of SDR#. Since I still don't know which filters are available in HF+ hardware and which in SDR# software and how/whether other SDR software can control the filters that may be available in hardware... Too proprietary in that case...
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(129.17 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Greetz...
Micha

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

Another little thing:
With every SDR# version I have the problem as shown in the video. As soon as I precisely tune to the carrier, the carrier sags and the sound becomes completely distorted.
I don't have this phenomenon with other SDR software (SDR radio, HDSDR, SDR++).

SDRSharp tuning problem.mp4
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Needless to say AirSpy HF+ and AirSpy HF+ Discovery work nicely with the SDR-Radio (V3) suite. Plug in the AirSpy. Install the SDR-Radio (V3) suite. Fire up SDR Console. Create an AirSpy HF+ definition. Select it. Run. Bob's your uncle. The exceptions have been thin on the ground.

Some people run SDRC on notebooks in a minimalist fashion. I notice concurrently there are two people here with AMD Ryzen 7s having issues, your case and a case with random crashes with one specific setting on one specific (not AirSpy) front end. There is a remote chance there is an endemic issue with AMD Ryzen 7s. But, if so, this is a brand new discovery.

What mode are you using when you see that precise tuning issue? I can think of a way to get that result with DSB reception of an AM signal. With precise tuning you can have extended periods of time with the difference between the DSB "BFO" and the DSB sidebands phases being 90 degrees. In that case it is a feature of physics not SDRs.

{^_^}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

jdow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:32 am What mode are you using when you see that precise tuning issue? I can think of a way to get that result with DSB reception of an AM signal ...
Nope... As you can see in the video, I don't use DSB. That is pure AM without any filter. Even attempts with different bandwidths and/or field strange and/or other bands do not change anything about it. This behavior can be reproduced in all SDR# versions, so it seems to be a fundamental problem. The programmers of the other frontends mentioned have to do something different with the AM decoding, since it doesn't occur there.
jdow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:32 am There is a remote chance there is an endemic issue with AMD Ryzen 7s. But, if so, this is a brand new discovery.
That would be possible; looks like this at the moment. But we will see. My notebook is an i7. And it's weekend and it's raining dogs outside. So maybe I'll manage to install SDR# on the notebook today... Then we'll at least be able to see whether the behavior mentioned so far can be reproduced there...
jdow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:32 am Needless to say AirSpy HF+ and AirSpy HF+ Discovery work nicely with the SDR-Radio (V3) suite.
Ok, that's a statement. Then SDRRS can obviously completely operate the filters that may be available as hardware in the device?! Good to know...
Greetz...
Micha

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

"What filters that may be available as hardware in the device?" Where do you get this impression? There is no interface for such filters.

{O.O}

M*I*B

Unread post by M*I*B »

jdow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 am "What filters that may be available as hardware in the device?" Where do you get this impression? There is no interface for such filters.
That's exactly what I've asked for several posts and never got an answer ^^. Because on the HF+ page, there is a lot of advertising with various filters. This advertising of filters and functions on the hardware side undoubtedly gives a beginner the impression that these filters are built into the hardware...

Independently of that:
I have the current version 1909 installed on the notebook; exactly the same as on my AMD- system. Runs a bit more stable there in the graphics area. The icons also look a bit different. But...
The problem as shown in the video is also there. So it's pretty clearly a bug in the software...
Greetz...
Micha