RTL-SDR No reception

Discussion of the RTL-SDR type of radios suct as Noo-Elec etc.
G4GUJ

RTL-SDR No reception

Unread post by G4GUJ »

Can anyone help me please?
I have a nooelec NESDR Mini2+ R820T2 & DVB-T USB RTL-SDR which my PC recognises as a HID Infrared Receiver (?) that I am trying to use as the front end receiver for SDRplay.
The software sees the device and appears to connect to it but I cannot get any reception - even when I try to tune to a known strong local VHF FM transmission.
Yes I have connected an aerial to it!
Does anyone have any checks that I can do before I send the USB dongle back to its maker??
Richard.

KA1GJU

Re: RTL-SDR No reception

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Not sure what a front end RXR is for an SDRPlay or why it’s required, since the SDRPlay is a DC to daylight RXR as it is.
RTL dongles all have to have the proper drivers installed, an executable called Zadig is what is used. Since the computer thinks it’s an Infared RXR, that might be the problem.

Directions for using the dongles is here, including driver installation:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/rtl-dongles#Installation

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

a printscreen (with the device connected) would help Richard.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

He needs to play with Zadig to replace the drivers Windows 10 found with winusb.sys. I believe there is a description of this on sdr-radio.com where you got SDR Console.

{^_^}

G4GUJ

Unread post by G4GUJ »

Many, Many thanks.
I ran Zadiq and replaced the driver now I have reception (of sorts)
For broadcast FM stations I cannot get the filter bandwidth wide enough but at least I now know the device is working and can now start experimenting.

Thanks again

Richard G4GUJ

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Richard,
For FM Broadcast, you need to operate the mode in BFM (Broadcast FM). The button will be renamed BC-FM in v3.0.27 for clarity. If you don't have a BFM or BC-FM button in your Mode window of your DSP panel, you can add one via the three dots in the Mode window.

It doesn't take long to 'get the hang of it' using Simon's creation, SDRC. Like Amateur Radio, there are lot's of facets on how users utilize this powerful software as the posts on this website prove. More features and improvements are added with every update, either by Simon's own creative thinking or users posting suggestions here on the "Requests" area of this site.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Home of the Super Station SDRC Servers
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

G4GUJ

Re: RTL-SDR No reception - again

Unread post by G4GUJ »

Hi All,

I have just updated my laptop to Windows10 and now SDR Radio no longer finds the RTL dongle (R820T2).
I have re-run Zadig 2.5 and re-set the 'Bulk in, Interface (interface 0)' driver to WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) but SDR console is still not linking to the dongle and receiving signals.
Device manager has the dongle listed under Universal Serial Bus devices as Bulk-In, Interface.
Two files attached show the Device Manager listing and the driver details if that is of any help.
It did all work before the OS update to Win10 from Win7.
Anyone have any ideas that I can try?

Richard
Attachments
Dispaly Manager 1.jpg
Device Manager 2.jpg

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Please promise not to try some of the fancier features such as renaming the dongle, for the present time. My RTLTool.exe can help you determine if a dongle is present and recognized. Unzip it. Run it from where you unzipped it. It SHOULD find your dongle and allow you to test transfers at various data rates. If RTLTool, which is quite lightweight, cannot find the dongle then more work will be required to see what went foobar.

You could right click on the device in Device Manager, select properties, select the details tab, and get some readouts. What does it say for the "Device instance path", the second item in the "Property" droplist?

{^_^}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Nice test tool! thanks JD

G4GUJ

Unread post by G4GUJ »

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I have read out the properties item your requested and tried to run your tool.
The Tool appears to find the dongle but goes no further (see attachment), I Tried both the X64 & X86 versions.
My system here is Intel I7 based laptop from ACER.
In addition, today my system on start-up created a second 'Bulk-In, Interface' entry in the device manager with basically the same properties with the only difference that I can find being in the device description where it have the value of 'Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 1)'
Does this information help?
Richard.
Attachments
Results1.jpg